Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: JK skid plates  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
JK skid plates
« on: October 04, 2016, 09:48:11 AM »
Hello,
Not sure how it happened but recently ended up with a JK. ...No worries, teh TJ is still getting fixed...I think... ;D ;D

What engine skid plate would you recommend and why? Been out of this game for a while so don't have the latest knowledge on what is good or bad. Found M.O.R.E. and in the pictures it looks like a decent skid. Is it? Where is best to get it or other products?

Many thanks,
Milan
Keep on Jeepin'

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: JK skid plates
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »
The first thing a JK really needs is an evap canister skid plate - or a relocation of that evap canister.

Second thing on my list for underneath a JK would be diff covers.

After that, I would aim at either an up-armored oil pan, or a full belly skid plate system....to be honest the JK's seem to have the little minivan engine tucked up fairly high, and despite extensive "use" of the fuel tank skid plate on my JKU due to the poor breakover angle I have not felt the need to add anything other than diff covers and the evap canister skid.

All of that experience is with the old 3.8 - I can't offer any specific guidance on the new  pentastar.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
my JK don't gotz one of those fancy evap cannisters. it long gawn.   you don't need it ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 12:32:10 PM »
This is true. You can do an evap canister delete simply by doing a "permanent check engine light" install.  ;)
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 01:03:44 PM »
it also kills gas mileage.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:20:55 PM »
it also kills gas mileage.

Dude....it's a breadbox on wheels. Saying that losing the evap canister kills gas mileage is like saying that Trudeau's carbon tax plan is going to irritate Western Canada. What you're saying is technically true....but the situation is already so bad that nobody's going to notice.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 09:51:13 PM »
Hello,
Not sure how it happened but recently ended up with a JK. ...No worries, teh TJ is still getting fixed...I think... ;D ;D

What engine skid plate would you recommend and why? Been out of this game for a while so don't have the latest knowledge on what is good or bad. Found M.O.R.E. and in the pictures it looks like a decent skid. Is it? Where is best to get it or other products?

Many thanks,
Milan

If you can afford aluminum skid plates go for it. Keeping a jk light helps a lot.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 11:51:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming. Which aluminum skid for example? Which diff covers (Are they thinner than on TJ's? There I only updated the rear one after denting it into the ring gear.)
Keep on Jeepin'