Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: SYE question  (Read 1666 times)

YoungFluff03TJ

SYE question
« on: February 23, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »
Hey all,
Moved back to Calgary and going to start jeeping more... ideally.
So far the idea is to keep it road legal but more a toy. Right now 2003 TJ 3" lift and 33s with t case  (np231) drop, so looking to start by putting on a SYE, 1" body lift then soon  in the future a tummy tuck.

Been doing the research for SYEs and keep coming back to AA and JBC. Same price and ironically the exact same selling points of "strongest on the market with 18% larger spline diameter, 32 teeth spline, 54% increase torque capacity..." So to me this means there isn't much of a difference that I can tell.

My question is, for a couple bucks more is it worth getting a super short? I understand the benefits of a longer DS but at what lift/axle/tire combination does that become necessary? Or is it like trying to compare jumping off the 86th vs 90th story of a highrise?
For drive shafts I keep hearing Tom Wood and Adams, or finding a Cherokee shaft and getting it cut and balanced.

On that note is there a good place to buy local, or is it better to look online?

Any input would be welcomed; thoughts, opinions and past personal experience

Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: SYE question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 07:19:07 AM »
I think on the short wheel base of a Tj having a longer rear driveshaft will help a lot more, especially if a tummy tuck is i your future. And for driveshafts Corey at Driveline Specialties is still the go-to local guy for shafts.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »
Corey at Driveline Specialties has always been a strong supporter of CJA for many years.  He can build any custom driveshaft that you want.

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:15:00 AM »
Sounds good thanks for the input. As for SYE brand/company is there a big difference?

Offline Coiloil37

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
I put a AA sye on mine with a 4.5" lift. A year down the line I did my tummy tuck with a totally flat skid and my u joints bound on my rear drive shaft. I put 3" springs in and have been running 22 degrees on the drive shaft for the last year. If I could go back I would do the mega short sye for sure. Not only for the ability to run a taller lift (that didn't bother me at all) but to keep the angles a little more reasonable for the u joints.

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 04:39:37 PM »
OK sounds good, looks like I'll do a shorty just in case

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
Super short is definitely worth the money on a TJ. Specially if you can keep the total lift/tuck down enough to forego the CV and just run a two joint shaft!!

Buying a package is often cheaper than having a custom shaft built separately. But if you go the custom drive shaft route, Corey is the best around.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]