Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: rearend axle  (Read 1435 times)

Offline 1993yj

• Baby Wheeler
rearend axle
« on: February 20, 2017, 07:49:41 AM »
I have a question about my spider9 rear. I sould get rear fluids changed <has always leaked but ever month I check level and fill up as needed> .to change fluids you need to pull 3rd member as theres no drain plug .I was thinking about getting one put in but in all photos I seen theres if never one in them .  can one be put in?or is there a reson behind there being none?   

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
Re: rearend axle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 09:46:05 AM »
There is no drain plug because they get the crap beat out of the housing on the third member so if you put a drain plug in make sure it is "flush" with the housing.  Just pull a lower retaining bolt and most of the oil should drain if its hot.

Offline Dingleberry

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 02:03:29 PM »
I have a question about my spider9 rear. I sould get rear fluids changed <has always leaked but ever month I check level and fill up as needed> .to change fluids you need to pull 3rd member as theres no drain plug .I was thinking about getting one put in but in all photos I seen theres if never one in them .  can one be put in?or is there a reson behind there being none?

They can indeed be put in. Requires fabricating skills. I took my 9 over to Broken Axle and had Eric get the welder out and his tap and die set, and he installed a drain plug for me. Sure it might get beat up sitting at the bottom of the housing, but he did a good job of installing it in such a way that prevents it from being the lowest hanging point on the housing, and has clearance from the ring gear inside. It may not get every last little ounce of fluid out, but it's still a better option than having to remove the third member!

The only other way I can think of is if you remove a shaft and tilt the housing to let it drain out of the axle tube... lol!

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
Just install a bolt rather than a stud on the lowest point of the third member. Remove the bolt, drop the fluid, reinstall the bolt.

Get it hot before dropping it.

Spyder housings are tapped right through. No need to weld a bung and plug in the bottom of a perfectly smooth housing...........
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]