Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: TJ rear axle options  (Read 1982 times)

Offline rosko

• Baby Wheeler
TJ rear axle options
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:28:28 AM »
Crown and pinion finally blew up on my Dana 35 and am at a crossroads with what to do with my rig (124k km, new engine and tranny rebuild under warranty at 85k km) - got enough upgrades into it not to project sell / part out / etc, but not enough wheeling or project time available these days to dump a whole bunch of cash into it. $1000-$1200 into a Dana 35 doesn't make sense to me though.

Any good options out there? Seems like I always just miss out on Dana 44 part-outs and have looked at a G2 bolt-on option for a while, but with our dollar sucking it is even less appetizing. A ready-made 8.8 would be appealing with a bolt-on HP Dana 30 would probably be the ideal.

Would be interested in what anyone might have lying around or available after a swap-out.

Thanks!

'97 TJ Sahara 4.0L  'Stormtrooper'
OME 3" lift and JKS quick sway bar DCs
1.25" MORE body lift, 2" motor mount lift
Teraflex Tummy Tuck
Poison Spyder Ricochet Knockers
31" Goodyear MT/R Kevlars - Offroad Set

Offline rosko

• Baby Wheeler
Re: TJ rear axle options
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 06:13:56 PM »
Also, I'm wondering if there's any downside/considerations going to a HP Dana 60 assembly in the rear vs a Dana 44 if I'm planning to run smaller tire sizes (e.g. 35" max). I know there is a weight difference, but can't find a lot of info on how much that is or the real repercussions of it.
Teraflex Tummy Tuck

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:08:11 PM »
A dana 60 rear weighs about 375lbs
A dana 44 rear weighs about 200lbs

Downside is:
The weight, and you're probably looking at a full width axle. Which means weird assed tracking with your narrow front D30,
Bigger flares should be considered, as well as the fuel mileage losses (but that is a WHOLE other topic).
Not sure how much or if any fuel tank clearances will be an issue.
You may have to regear one of the axles.
8.8, D44, or even a C8.25 would be more plentiful, and a better match.
Or replace with another D35.
Or fix your axle.

On the upside, the 60 will allow you to run huge fuggin' tires..... whenever you get there.

Your can of worms is now opened.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:34:05 PM »
If you're not in a huge rush I'd spend sometime looking for a tj dana44 and an Xj hp30. If you're in more of a rush snag the next explorer 8.8 you find. Hp30's are relatively easy to find. Both of these axles can handle 35's fairly well. Unless you're an animal behind the wheel either one of these would work well with minimal effort to install. Another option albeit harder to find would be early ford bronco Dana 44 and 9". They are about the proper width for a tj and big upgrade with lots of support. Would need some suspension mods to fit them, but would be a cool option.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline rosko

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:46:11 AM »
Hmmm... I thought that price meant things were a little too good to be true. Good to know that the G2 D60 might be wider - they don't have much up for specs on these things. $1200 doesn't make any sense at all to dump into a D35 for sure and re-gearing a D30 might as well be an HP, I completely agree. I emailed G2 so I'll see what their answer is.

I really don't have the time to take this on so the bolt-on options were very appealing, but neither does dropping $10k on a set of G2s. Anyone around still building up HP30s or selling bolt-on-ready Ford 8.8?

I've moved to the Columbia Valley, otherwise Dave she'd be parked at your shop. :)

Guess I'll get it home and think about it some more. Might even post it as a project for sale. If it was a higher-mileage rig the decision would be easy, but at 124k km (with only 40k on the motor and rebuilt tranny, less on clutch and front driveshaft, etc) and all of the extras in already puts me on the fence.

Thanks for the input folks, as always.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:49:34 AM by rosko »
Teraflex Tummy Tuck

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »
Great. Just what I need.... another project.
;)
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 11:16:04 AM »
Ebay

Serge pulled an hp 30/tj44 combo out of Ontario geared with ARB's for 2500$.

There's always guys pulling built setups to go 1 tons. Just start hitting ebay and the American forums like pirate and jeep forum to find the next set of take outs.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Coiloil37

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 09:18:49 PM »
If your not sure what you want to do just find a d35 with the same ratio on Kijiji or at the pick and pull and install it. I've sold Dana 35's and they're not worth more then $200, hell they're almost hard to give away. At the PP they're only $249 if memory serves correct.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »
I have a complete 8.8 with disks and 4.10's for sale
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline rosko

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 06:09:41 AM »
I have a complete 8.8 with disks and 4.10's for sale
Thanks Bill - might have been but snagged reman front & rear rubi D44s  instead.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Teraflex Tummy Tuck