Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 4.6 Stroker Build  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
4.6 Stroker Build
« on: June 02, 2017, 07:38:10 AM »
In case anyone is interested in doing one in the future here is a little info on the build I just completed. My engine was using a ton of oil and I figured I needed to do something about it before the summer season (and I was right!)

Once we had the engine on the stand I could crank it over by hand with medium effort ( no wrench required!) Upon disassembly Cyl 1&2 were completely without compression, you could easily wiggle and clink them back and forth inside the bore, there was also healthy discoloration from the oil they were burning up. Ring groove was so bad we were almost positive it would not clean up at .030 over. You could literally grab it with your finger nails and hold on. All Cylinders had bad ring groove and all would easily wiggle (most would clink inside bore). But I already ordered pistons to fit .030 over so we just had to hope for the best. (Tried looking for another block but failed).

My head also needed to be completely rebuilt, all this on an engine with  110K kms!

Used compatible 4.0's were not easy to come by, 5.3 swap was way pricey and was to involving (even doing a junkyard version, which I wanted to avoid) and I always like to "upgrade" what breaks so the solution became a stroker!

Goal was to be running regular gas, and gain power (of course)

I decided to order everything from 505 Performance and Rock Auto, I used DW as my machine shop (which I would not recommend going forward for reasons I will talk about later) and we assembled the engine ourselves. Used Firebolt for my head and was extremely pleased on price, turn around time and quality.

Best Resources

General info and Questions - www.jeepstrokers.com

Super useful Calculator with all common and modified values: https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/calculator/

Good complete kits and info: http://www.505performance.com/Engine_Stroker_Kits.html

Save money! www.rockauto.com

Injectors I bought: https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/products/jeep-stroker-4-0-99-2004-injector-27lb-set

-Final Engine Build Specs-

2004 Wrangler 4.0-----4.6

Jeep 4.2L 3.895" stroke crank
Jeep 4.0L 6.125" rods - Re-used from previous motor
Keith Black Hyper +0.030" bore pistons, dish volume 24cc
Moly piston Rings
CAM- 263/267 degree camshaft LSA 114 (505 Stage 1 cam)
Stock 57-58 CC Cylinder head. shaved down .006
Stock size 0.051" head gasket
Decked block to near zero .003
'99-'00 Chevy LS1 26.2lb/hr injectors for '05-'06 engines

Static Compression Ratio 9.3:1
Dynamic at Elevation 7.2: 1
Quench: .048 (you want to keep this # as low as possible to avoid detonation etc.)

Yes it runs Regular gas no issues and pulls MUCH better.

Vendors:

505 Performance- Had doubts due to some negative reviews, but pricing, info and customer service won me over and I ordered from them. Some shipping issues but all relatively minor. I took their stage 1 kit and added some "cost saving" measures lol. Their kit was very complete and overall super pleased.

D&W- I don't know what issues they are having now but it took them a month to get my block done after an initial 2 week maximum time. Quality of work was good, but my block came back chipped near were the crank ride on the main seal in the back...not critical but come on!

Firebolt Engines- Very Cheap, fast, great work rebuilding my head.

Rock Auto- Saved Hundreds ordering my valves and some other parts over the cost of local machine/parts shops etc.

Fuel injector Connection- Some shipping issues (USPS lost my damn injectors the first time) but all is great

First Start

We primed the oil pump with a modified junk distributor from a chev 350? and a hand drill, Set the timing, and it started instantly and smoothly like it was running a stock 4.0 which was anti climatic? but great!. Did the cam break in etc. (I am using the stock air intake and exhaust for now)

After initial start up I realized that after driving around a 100 Kms or so it would not rev above 3500 rpm. I thought it was fuel starvation, turns out the Camshaft sensor was dirty...cleaned it boom no issues.

Have about 400 kms on the Motor now I will let you all know if it blows up!

Any questions just ask

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:46:57 AM by Jrama »

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: 4.6 Stroker Build
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »
Fuel mileage. Improved? same? Better in city? Better on highway?

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 10:21:36 AM »
Don't know yet as the engine is still breaking in, from what I have read its about the same as stock, (maybe better if you have tired motor etc.)

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:30:39 PM »
How's the power?
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:22:35 PM »
Its very good, hard to describe buts its not a slow vehicle anymore, passing used to be a pain, now its fun.

One of the reasons I really liked the I6 stroker was the broad torque curve. Pulls like a liitle diesel truck.

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »
Nice Jamal! Thanks for all the info. I'd love to do this one day. What did it cost you, all in?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 10:42:08 PM »
Give it a more thorough break-in... come out to the "101" event Saturday?
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »
It cost about as much as 2.75 XJ's, including rebuilding my head, and other misc things that probably should have been replaced anyways.

Yeah if the 101 is on this weekend/ not super wet it would be great to get out, I want to camp out at Mclean this Friday weather permitting.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 02:30:23 PM by Jrama »

Offline CalJeez

• Stocker
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
Have you completely finished the build?

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
Yes, started driving it early last summer, I have been daily driving it (mostly) from about January on for the winter, lots of -20 starts (unfortunately) with no block heater (505 did not send one "New Mexico" and I did not think to ask). Also took it on a couple road trips last summer. I wanted to run 87 octane and gain power, I certainly did that.

I have done an intake and exhaust which gave the motor a nice little power boost over stock. I will be doing a larger throttle body at some point...probably...

Very happy with everything but knowing what I know now I would definitely do an LS build in the future.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:30:34 PM by Jrama »