Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: New Jeeper and New to the Group  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Robbie2013

• Stocker
New Jeeper and New to the Group
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:25:10 AM »
New Jeeper and New to the Group

I just picked up my new Rubicon JKU and a pretty excited.  I am admittedly a NUBE with a jeep and a forum and am excited to learn as much as I can and meet new people. 

I had a Tacoma that I wheeled in Mclaine Creek, so I am not a total off road virgin, but I have a lot to learn. 

I have a question, is a stock Rubicon capable enough for some, most, or all of the trail rides you do?  I am excited to build up the jeep but admittedly getting it has put a dent in my bank account, so it will be a while before I can start throwing money at it.  I know a lot of guys are running 35s and long arm kits but are there rides for dudes who have a good stock jeep out and around? 

I am excited to learn a bunch of stuff and meet some people.

Robbie

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: New Jeeper and New to the Group
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:59:59 AM »
Hey Robbie, welcome to the Jeep life. Your stock rubicon is very capable as it is. Upgrades are nice but have fun with it. It comes with tow points and easy enough to get you out if you're with a few people. There are a lot of trails a stock rubicon can go just fine. Some trails you may end up using your skid plates and possibly a few scratches along the way. Either way have fun with it!
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »
As a guy who bought a stock rubi back in 2008, my advice is to wheel what you've got for at least a year. You should have no issue with most open runs (32" MT's, lockers, and tow points will get you through a LOT), and even some of the more challenging runs are doable with good driving skills.  Cover your evap canister with a skid plate (or relocate it), maybe some diff covers, and eventually a winch....but I wouldn't say that you need to touch that suspension any time soon.

By the way....you don't need long arms to run 35's effectively on a JK. They already have fairly long control arms from the factory, and I would necessarily say that long arms would offer a whole pile of advantage with the lift height involved with running 35's on a JK.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
You have just heard some excellent advice from hps4 and W2......just wheel it for a while as you drool over the numerous off-road options you can add to your already capable vehicle.   Then after you have came to the conclusion that your jeep is already 100 times more better than a Tocoma, slowly start to build your jeep to where you want it. Many experts and lots of advice on these forums. 

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
You did it in the wrong order.... JK owners do lights, THEN lockers. Since you grabbed a Rubicon, you're already way ahead of the game.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline MattMan

• Administrator
  • That CB Yapper
  • old age & treachery wins over youth & vigour
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:48:09 PM »
You did it in the wrong order.... JK owners do lights, THEN lockers. Since you grabbed a Rubicon, you're already way ahead of the game.

What do you want from us?
JK lights suck... so we buy what we actually need;)

P.S.  welcome to the forum Robbie, see you on the trails!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:52:38 PM by MattMan »
MattMan

'21 JL Rubi, 3.6l 8spd, Warn VR10, 2.5" lift, Tazered w/35’s

Offline Robbie2013

• Stocker
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »
Hey, thanks for all of the advice/encouragement everyone.  Now all I need is for the off road ban to be lifted and I can actually use it.  Go figure that the weekend I get a new Rubicon all wheeling in southern Alberta is closed. 

The 2017 has LED headlights, and they are not too bad.  I am saving for a winch.... I think that will be my number one add on. 

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 06:19:40 PM »

Ignore the leprechaun. He's just jealous that you bought a Jeep instead of a frameless station wagon.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »
Staionwagons rock!! We get to to carry all your spare parts.... or leave them hidden on the trails, like oddly shaped easter eggs.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 07:52:43 AM »
Sapre parts, badgers, and if they get parked in Langdon for too long....fail. A station wagon full of fail.