Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Mods, what should I start with  (Read 1256 times)

Offline tiju1000

• Baby Wheeler
  • JK Rookie
Mods, what should I start with
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:09:29 PM »
Here is the context, I have a stock 2017 Rubicon Unlimited. Last spring we went to the Jeep 101 ( with my kid) and we really had fun like crazy.

The JK is also our daily driver way easier to park than the big dually truck ;D

The JK is a stick one.

Reading on the web we can see that mods can go crazy and all around the table and pretty expensive. We dont want to spend a huge fortune, as the Rubi is already well equipped.

We also don't want something that end up with a 6 inch lift kit....

So what should I start with... front bumper/winch, lift kit... nice para cord handle  ;D

Also if you can give me advice on brand/choice....

Thierry

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Mods, what should I start with
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
Wheel it stock. For at least a year. Then you'll have a good idea of what you want and need.

IF you have money burning a hold in your pocket, then put on a skid plate for your evap canister, diff covers, a front bumper and a winch. For winch....buy once, cry once..Warn.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Kanueh

• Budget Lift
Mods, what should I start with
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 07:03:39 AM »
Winch and front bumper first for sure but once you hang that winch on there the front will drop a bunch so you should get at least a leveling kit for the front at the same time. Leveling kit or a budget boost is pretty cheap so that when you decided to go a bit higher you won't be into the lift too much yet.

I agree with buy a great winch the first time, cheap winches work ok until they don't. Unfortunately that usually happens when you need it most.
2008 JKU Rubicon
3" BDS Lift / Kingone 9.5 Winch / 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers / Custom Front Drive Shaft
EVO Sleeves, Outer axle seals, Gussets, Control Arm Skids / Poison Spyder EVAP Skid
Superchips FlashPaq / Spal Waterproof Radiator Fan / Univers

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
Good place to start is a good Warn winch, the M8000-S has a lot of pulling power in a fairly light package. Match it with a good front bumper that isn't too heavy.
A 6" lift is way too much for a jk. A 2" lift can clear 35" tires on the proper rims. Some High clearance fenders can give you room for 37" tires without any suspension lift. There are lot of cheap options that perform terribly. A good set of 2" lift foil springs with good shocks makes a big difference. Adjustable track bars help to keep it all lined up properly, these really make a big difference in handling on and off-road. This amount of lift will give you room for a 34-35" tire.
Tire choice is up to you and how you want to use your jeep. A good AT works good in a lot of places, but not so well in mud. A good mud tire works well off-road but not as well on the street. There are aggressive all terrain tire's now that are a happy medium between both that work very well too. Rim style is up to you but a 17" rim gives you the most tire options.
Don't jump in too quickly, plan this properly and you'll be happier in the end. I've driven too many poorly built jeeps where people didn't plan properly. Do it right the first time.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
By the way...a JK Rubicon is already capable of doing a LOT. I just finished wheeling Black Bear and Imogene passes in Colorado with a couple of inexperienced guys from Missouri. They were both driving stock JKU Rubicons - and they didn't encounter a single situation that their rigs couldn't handle with ease.

The M8000 is a good suggestion for the winch - And you can even look at just getting a winch plate instead of a bumper at first.

A leveling kit is not a bad idea - And a leveling kit with flat fenders will let you fit 33's easily, and maybe even 35's with trimming. I am running about 2.5" of lift on a long travel setup and 35's, and I have zero issues with rub.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(