Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: NV3550 Tools  (Read 1925 times)

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
NV3550 Tools
« on: January 15, 2018, 12:20:28 PM »
I've started the process of replacing the input shaft bearing on my NV3550 since the whine has been driving me nuts lately. When I took the transfer case off I noticed my rear seal was leaking a bit as well. I was thinking I should tackle this at the same time.

Going through the service manual it appears there are a couple tools called out that I'm wondering if anyone has that I could borrow or if I can get away without. The rear seal calls out a tool to get around the output shaft and the oil seal in the front bearing retainer calls out some sort of tool as well. I have seen a youtube rebuild that the rear seal was set with the handle from a hammer to work the seal around, is this ok? I couldn't find any info on the front seal, so until I pop that off tonight I don't even really know what I am looking at.

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
Re: NV3550 Tools
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 07:48:43 PM »
Hey Fony. I have a JKU with 6 spd and mileage is getting up there at 150k kms. I am going to rebuild the tranny before it gives me trouble. I spoke to Broken Axle and they told me the Jeep manual tranny guru is at National Transmission  on 14 St in Kensington area is there. Not sure if he does the work there or off grid after hours but we are planning a trip that is about 300kms off road in the BC Chilcotins and I want that done soon before we go in July. Going to replace the bearings, seals and synchros and anything else we find bad. So I will go see them possibly tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what they say. Don't forget those tools are special but they say they are required simply because the manufacturer assembles thousands not one. If you can get the seal out without destroying anything then tapping it back in and setting it with a hammer handle or the like is ok. Just go slow. If your seal is gone then there is a good chance the bearing is going as well. Also if you feel a wobble vibration in the gear lever then the bearing between the input and output shaft is going. Another way to diagnose that is watch the gear shift and accelerate in say 4th or 5th gear then take your foot off then back on. If the gear lever moves yep the bearings are going.
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:25:27 AM »
So I found a chipped tooth on the input shaft gear. Might be a stupid question since I've come this far, but can I leave this as is and button up the transmission? Or, is this going to lead to immediate catastrophic failure and I should put in the extra work to change it?

I guess I can't think of a situation that this would have happened recently, so who knows how long its been like this.

Also found this, looks like at some point it got hot in there. Thinking I can probably cut that off and leave as is.

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 09:42:36 PM »
Change it. It will take out the rest of your tranny. That tooth is broken not chipped. Pay a little now or a lot soon. And don't forget the oil is $32/liter and you need 2. If you put the wrong oil in the synchros get worn quick. Two outfits make the oil which is available in Calgary. Mopar and Penzoil Synchromesh.
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 12:09:40 PM »
Yeah that's what I figured. Got the part on order and some more bearings etc...

Offline Josh54

• Stocker
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 12:35:43 AM »
Seen that kind of broken tooth on buddy's tranny, definitely need a new one.