Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 97 XJ 4L goes full throttle at startup  (Read 1133 times)

Offline xjglasses

• Winch Wench
97 XJ 4L goes full throttle at startup
« on: February 26, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »
hi ,  stock 97 xj 4L auto, about 220K mileage, no recent changes,  drove my daughter down to okotoks and back, ran fine as usual, stopped couple km from home to pickup food and still warm started it and the tach went 3grand, turned it off - checked the throttle body and the cables were NOT pulling the linkage to rev high that I could see - pulled the TPS and IAC cable off looking for corrosion but none so put back on ,  checked the vac lines don't see any issue eyeballing,  started it again and it went to 1000grand then jumped to red line so shutdown again ,  several more looks underhood but the end result was start and near red line ... anyone have a known cure for this ? 

thanks in advance
97 xj sport - stock
89 yj base  - 33's, arb

*coming to you live from inside a 4L

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: 97 XJ 4L goes full throttle at startup
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:47:25 PM »
Check for any vacuum leaks.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline xjglasses

• Winch Wench
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »
it died in community parking lot and in shade when I got there later yesterday afternoon so was bit cold, checked/tightened intake bolts, disconnected the a/c cable off throttle body, installed new throttle position sensor (tps) and it started right up like normal, when I got home found an o-ring in the part box which the old tps didn't have ( checked 3x - nothing in the hole ) , another test drive and all good to go, think it shifts just a bit better too if that's possible,  thanks everyone.
97 xj sport - stock
89 yj base  - 33's, arb

*coming to you live from inside a 4L

Offline Josh54

• Stocker
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 11:36:52 PM »
Good info. Should save someone soon.