Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: spider 9 unit bearing  (Read 1133 times)

Offline 1993yj

• Baby Wheeler
spider 9 unit bearing
« on: June 11, 2018, 03:32:22 PM »
hello I was told my old unit bearings where going in my jeep .there about 5 yrs old .ordered in new  ones and after waiting forever I got them .my problem is the new ones from spidertrax only are made with a 5/8 stud for wheels and mine are 1/2 .was told bye spidertrax the first time only they can rebuild old ones but its about 2 months or longer turn around ..talked to them today and was now told to try order bearings from currie and try to rebuild .is there a way to cut down the studs to 1/2 inch size ?

Offline 1993yj

• Baby Wheeler
Re: spider 9 unit bearing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »
dealing with the people on phone for spidertrax sucks .sent in a email last night and found out the they will build me a new bearing with 1/2 inch studs but will not say if it will fit or not .no return on part if ordered and it doesn't fit .found out the bearings they started with are from a 97 to 04 ford f350 and a stock one from that year with 35 spline axle might fit .

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »
"The Ultimate Unit Bearing, the last bearing you'll ever need." until you need a new one anyway.

5/8 is the diameter of the stud not the length, you cannot cut it or rethread it to make it fit

sucks they don't make them to order anymore.  pretty sure if they make them for you they will fit, it's a simple process drilling and tapping 1/2 inch 5x5.5 holes instead of 5/8 holes

5 years is a good lifespan for the hubs, i think they lasted me just under three years with 140lb rim/tire combo

if you need to look long term though, can ask Billy and he can tell you how/if you can switch to a rebuildable hub.. I think his were 6 bolt 5/8 though...  or get new rims for next time with 5/8 holes
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:43:24 PM by FiEND »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline 1993yj

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »
I found out today that currie makes a unit bearing that will work .you have to machine down the axle shafts as they use shorter ones then spidertrax .so thinking this is the way to go

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
the old hubs are different than the new hubs made by spidertrax. the old ones needed a flange kit

i see the new ones (new design) do not need this as it's one piece now.

anyway, i built the axle housing, cut the tube and welded on the end cups.  there's no way currie knows the length, but may need to be cut.. easy with a zip disk.  just make sure of the measurements.  when I built it I assembled everything and used a broom stick to measure the length of shafts I needed to order.

keep posting if you need any help or info.  glad currie has an option, hope they are cheaper too.  think they were 399 when i replaced them just before you bought it.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:05:39 PM »
https://www.currieenterprises.com/ce-8000sd4

that should be the one, just need the bearing as you have all the internals and it should bolt and clip right up, no cutting.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline 1993yj

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »
ya there the ones I am looking at .talked to a guy on onther 4x4 form that did this .he said that the axle shafts are longer when you use spidertrax .all he did was get axle shaft machined down to small size .said currie made a smaller one but as out of stock when he did it