Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: JK hood straps  (Read 1370 times)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
JK hood straps
« on: May 15, 2018, 04:59:47 PM »
Hey friends.

As some know, while driving to fort mac last week an oncoming semi blast blew my hood open and back against the windshield.  $5000 parts w/out paint.

Left strap snapped in half mid wishbone and most slingshotted away.
Right strap broke around the pin but stayed mostly in place and I have a souvenir.

I connected with a fella in California who had the exact same thing happen to his Jeep 3 days before mine.  Both 2017 hard rock with power dome hoods.

Best we can figure , drivers strap failed twisting the hood enough that the safety latch was rendered useless which caused the rest of the hood to release.  Who really knows though?

Anyway I was used to hood pop and flutter from my TJ days.  Aftermath of reading, I see lots of people upgrading their straps, daystar or RR etc.  I highly recommend this now that I know they are out there and how weak the JK straps can be.

Myself, when this is all fixed up.. I have been reading that the JL metal strap kit bolts on and works good with a slight modification so will look into this in combination with the factory hood lock that jeep sells.

The other person went right up the FCA corp ladder.  Got rental car and investigation then told it wasn't manufacturers issue... nothing about design or engineering though.  Unfortunately until someone or many are injured or killed FCA won't admit to a fault that would cost them millions.

So just posting up here for you and future Jeep owners as a heads-up.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: JK hood straps
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 01:32:26 PM »
Fuuuuuuck...... I know that the first few years of the JKs had really sloppy/scarey latches. Figured they would have solved that issue by now.

You're okay, though? Aside from needing new undies?
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 02:07:17 PM »
Yah I'm OK thanks.  Doesn't look promising that insurance will cover it ... If I were in Ontario it prob wouldn't.  The lady couldn't say if it will be covered in Alberta though.  We'll see what happens when a local adjuster looks at it all.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline slanktapper

• UberWheeler
  • Rob
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 08:22:36 AM »
How could that not be a manufacturing issue...  2017, Stock hood, broken latch...

Best of luck
Tall Rob

Sold: Silver 06 Rubicon - 35"
Current: 92hp True selectable 4x4, Spooled rear diff, Electric front locker, 30" Mud Tires, Snorkel. Warn Axon 35s.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »
New news from the USA.  The person this happened to got in contact with even higher up suits.  They are fixing his jeep under warranty.  They are providing all rentals and stuff that they should.  They are taking his straps and other parts for testing which could take months.

Since we are a different country and company blah blah they can't help me but they have advised FCA Canada to contact me.. I will keep calling daily as well.. but their office says temp closed so I will have to call back tomorrow.

http://canadianbusinesstribune.com/pr/potential-jeep-wrangler-hood-latch-defect-could-prove-fatal/141120
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 12:40:50 AM »
fracken JKs.  my 07 did the same thing. the drivers side snapped but the passengers stayed put.. it was insane scary. I did the DAYSTAR replacements.   so far work well. 

fight for it man.  it has been a factory defect for a decade.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 12:26:16 PM »
There was a recall for 08-09 build years.  replaced the straps and latch.  glad yours didn't go completely.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 10:50:30 PM »
its almost as scary as the 'death wobble' LOL.. not that |JKs ever have DW
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 06:44:38 AM »
I swapped mine out for the stiff aftermarket ones (don't recall the brand) after my first road trip through the Crowsnest. I always thought that I did it just because the flutter irritated me - I guess I trusted the hood latch. Thank you for sharing Al....I guess I know that I was wrong to trust in that latch!
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Graveltravels

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:13 PM »
My 08 already had upgraded metal ones when I got it. Saw so many of my friends flop while driving. Hope they look after you. If not, insurance should. Fawk. It broke while driving. Stock too. Get on them. Be blunt. It's the only to get thru to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slanktapper

• UberWheeler
  • Rob
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
Any update FiEND?
Tall Rob

Sold: Silver 06 Rubicon - 35"
Current: 92hp True selectable 4x4, Spooled rear diff, Electric front locker, 30" Mud Tires, Snorkel. Warn Axon 35s.