Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: JL vs JK  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
JL vs JK
« on: May 30, 2018, 08:34:04 PM »
So I found a 2 door 18 JK Recon for $52K new. I was offered an almost fully loaded 18 JLU Rubicon a month or so back from Tower for $59K. Recon is manual JLU is auto. I can live with 2 or 4 door. Apples to Apples a 2018JKU Recon would be about $4k more which brings this right up near the JLU price. So my question to the forum is - which way would you go if it were you in this situation? I think the JLU or a JL Ruby 2 door would be the best way to go.
Feedback appreciated
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: JL vs JK
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »
Tough call. I can’t get over the front axle disconnect on the JL. I’d probably go JK. Much more aftermarket part for JK right now too. In a year or two the JL will have all the fun parts too. At the same time though having the newest thing out there is kinda cool too.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:27:23 AM »
Depends on how long you are going to keep it. Couple years get jl. Less depreciating value.
Better ride. Comes with bigger tires, better mpg stock. 35 will fit no lift on jl rubi. But then there goes mpg.
If only going to wheel
Once a year or so might want to consider grand cherokee. More reliable, better mpg yet.  And qudra drive 11 comes with front and rear lockers. Way smoother ride and when miled out strut master makes all the stuff so 33,s fit when air ride repairs become costly.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »
I have a 2017 rubicon.  I spend over an hour yesterday going over the JL from top to bottom front to back.

I would never in a million years pick the JK over the JL.  I am not sad I have the JK though, I wheeled it and scratched it first 500km not sure I could with the JL, it's so purdy!   Everything about it is better, from the engine compartment to the roll cage to the license plate on bumper to the new transmission (especially the gear layout and how to get into reverse) to all the buttons, even the headlights are moved from the multifunction signal switch yay to the dash.  It's really overwhelming what they did for the JL.  It's much quieter too with the one piece windshield frame and other improvements ... comes with bfg at k02 now which I only like in the snow...

anyway go spend some time with both vehicles.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline Neville

• Stocker
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 04:09:21 AM »
Cool to read what other people think regarding this. Every time I try to consider the pros and cons of both JL and JL I end up wanting both. haha

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »
My previous comment on the subject was made before I drove a new JL with the 2.0L turbo. I would change my opinion on the JL, that 2.0L is a rocket.
YJ=Y’all Jealous