Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: YJ SYE  (Read 1590 times)

jeep420

YJ SYE
« on: July 20, 2006, 08:19:48 PM »
Is there a visible way to see if I have a SYE on my jeep.  I bought it already lifted with a t-case drop.  My buddy (evasion1 on here) just did a spring over on his YJ and is about the same size, but his rear driveshaft where it goes into the t-case is sticking out about 3 inches where as mine is pretty much tight.....  He dropped his t-case already as well.

yjcanibul

YJ SYE
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:28:11 PM »
among other things the sye shortens the tail housing by 3 or 4 inches allowing you to run a longer driveshaft  :lol: ,  my 89 stock tail housing looks like photo in link below, are you saying your tail housing is 3 or more inches shorter ? than the other yj,   if so then I'd say yes,  sye's require a longer driveshaft , does your driveshaft look like a c/v style end that uses two ujoints where it mates to t/c ?

http://www.msc-inc.ca/maclean_20050801/org231.jpg

yjcanibul

YJ SYE
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:47:27 PM »
and your original driveshaft was one long tube because the yoke at the t/c housing slips in and out as the axle moves - but with sye the driveshaft has what looks like a two piece spline setup to allow axle movement up and down ...  couldnt find a picture ...

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
YJ SYE
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 09:56:57 PM »

Pic from 4x4wire.com.

You can clearly see the YJ Slip yoke still attached to the driveshaft on the far right in this pic with the skidplate off.

jeep420

YJ SYE
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:59:07 PM »
My bad...  Now that I crawled underneith my jeep and looked at his closer, I realized I have a little 2" rubber grummet that covered some...  and his doesn't!  His vibrates though, thats what got us looking.  Mine seems fine, but, my t-case drop is 2" and his is 1.5".  Would that make much of a difference?  He is gonna change it on the weekend eitherway I think!

HIWYH8R

YJ SYE
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 10:31:50 PM »
I'd say he doesn't have one and any serious torque on that driveshaft it will pop out of the transfer case.

A SYE will have the yoke bolted to the transfer case shaft and the driveshaft u-joints clamped to the yoke. It won't have the tube going into the transfer case which slides in and out as the suspension goes up and down. Also, with a SYE the drive shaft itself will have some sort of a slider somewhere in the middle, usually with a boot .