Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: EVAP Woes  (Read 595 times)

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
EVAP Woes
« on: September 27, 2018, 03:36:04 PM »
I have been struggling with fubar'd evap system on my 04 Jeep TJ.

It all began long ago when a rear track bar extension bracket cut my evap vacuum lines. At the time I had no understanding that these lines were engine vacuum and were gladly sucking all sorts of crap into my fuel system and engine. Back then I could not give 2 fucks about the system or how it worked so I plugged the lines and promptly ignored the issue.

Today After repairing the lines, replacing the purge solenoid (was packed with mud and useless) and clearing some debris from inside the lines I still (unsurprisingly) have issues. I have a P1494 code,  I have checked the lines and leak detection pump and there is no sign of debris or Contamination. I read that often this code is caused by a leak in the system near the pump, not too often the pump itself.

P1494 CHRYSLER - EVAP Leak Detection Pump Pressure Switch Condition

Possible causes
Faulty Leak Detection Pump (LDP)
Leak Detection Pump (LDP) harness is open or shorted
Leak Detection Pump (LDP) poor electrical connection

My questions is this...

I noticed that the engine is constantly drawing vacuum through the system, meaning that there is always a vacuum leak coming from the Vent off of the EVAP canister. I presume having the vent valve open and the engine actively drawing air through the Evap system is not supposed to happen?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 03:38:18 PM by Jrama »