Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jumping on to the R2.8 Conversion  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
Jumping on to the R2.8 Conversion
« on: February 15, 2019, 08:15:50 PM »
So after a lot of procrastination and pondering a new JLU Ruby I have decided to convert my 2008 JLU Ruby to a Cummins 2.8 simply because I need the fuel range for some long trips between fillups and of course the power. Also don't want to bash up a new $60k+ vehicle in the bush. So after all of this I will have a 170kkm 3.8/6 Speed, Clutch etc for sale. The engine runs without a tick ratlle or clunk and uses 0.5 liters in 7000km. We suspect it could be a Factory warranty replacement. It also does not leak oil. RThe Jeep can be demonstrated running as I will rent a garage and remove everything I do not want in April. I am asking $1500 for everything which I will only sell complete. No transfer case though. Swapped that already with a NP241. Using a Chev 6L80 tranny.

The other item I wanted to mention is that Cummins will look at motor discounts if we get about 4 or 5 people wanting the same crate setup. I know the motor is expensive at $12K CDN but a new Chev motor will set one back $7-8k to get plus $5k in adapter items such as computer, pedals mounts etc etc. It is a long shot but anyone wants to talk about this please email me at [email protected]

I will be talking to AutoWorld in Great Falls, Montana. They specialize in making anything fit and CNC cut adapters etc for what they claim is much less $$$ than the regular suppliers like Bruiser etc and they supply the transmission computers etc. Basically could be a one stop shop. I will document the process in case anyone wants to follow along later anyway.

Barry

2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
Re: Jumping on to the R2.8 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:05:06 AM »
Also the rad is new in 2017 and will be for sale. Apprently no good for the 2.8.
2008 JKU Ruby, Jeep steel bumper, 9500 winch, 2016 5.3 Chev LT & 8L90 8 spd auto, 285 Maxxis Bighorns, MC 2.5" and LC Arms.

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 05:02:53 PM »
So I have decided against the 2.8 due to cost vs Jeep value. Going with a 2017 5.3 Chev LT/8L90 8 speed tranny. Bought one in Texas with 17000 miles for real cheap and get everything from accessories (incl AC compressor which I need) and wiring harnesses and computer. So yes the V6 and 6 speed complete package will be for sale soon. Anyone interested and want to drive it before it comes apart? Then it is off to Broken Axle for OM Emu springs and Metal Cloak Control Arms.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 05:40:28 PM »
So I have decided against the 2.8 due to cost vs Jeep value. Going with a 2017 5.3 Chev LT/8L90 8 speed tranny. Bought one in Texas with 17000 miles for real cheap and get everything from accessories (incl AC compressor which I need) and wiring harnesses and computer. So yes the V6 and 6 speed complete package will be for sale soon. Anyone interested and want to drive it before it comes apart? Then it is off to Broken Axle for OM Emu springs and Metal Cloak Control Arms.
Stop by the shop, we are putting a Metalcloak order in this week.
The 5.3 will be a lot of fun in your Jeep:)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 06:24:57 PM »
Damn. I was wanting to see the lil diesel in action!!
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 07:17:45 PM »
Broken Axle guys - I was going to come in before the conversion but will be there afterwards as I want to bring the Jeep in with the new engine installed so that we get the right stance. Wont be much heavier than existing as that engine weighs about 30-40lbs more than stock being all alloy block and heads.

Sorry about the reverse on the engines. With the new diesels coming I did not feel the price to convert was worth it. Just so you know I got the engine and transmission, accessories and harness with ECU for $3500US. Shipping is about $700 so a pretty good budget. I expect better gas mileage than the (should be illegal) gutless V6 3.8 which gives on a good day about 12.5-13L/100 and forget about passing above 80kph. And my son is licking his chops as he gets my Ruby TCase/ I get his but the 4.56 low gear in the 8 speed makes up for it. Ratios are 4.56/2.97/2.08/1.69/1.27/1.00/0.85/0.65 So with the 4.11 gears RPMat 110kph will drop from the present 2500 down to 1900 so the 4 cal mode will kick in lots seeing as it has to only lug about 4500lbs vs the truck it is out of @ 7000lbs or so. Not sure if I need bigger tires that the 33" Maxis Bighorns I have now. If so I will gear it down to 4.56. Will have this ready to go by June. Been advised to get the HD repp joint shafts like the stock Jeep units as they work the best according to a friend in Texas that has made the mistake of going double cardan and had lots of issues. Once I start I will log and post progress.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 09:01:24 PM »
Tire size Can be adjusted after everything has been built. You may need to strengthen the axles as well, extra power can cause even Dana 44’s to give up. Depends how you drive too. But even the nicest driver can get carried away with an extra couple hundred horses to play with;)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 09:57:48 PM »
No takers for the tranny and engine? It uses about 1/2 liter between oil changes. Would make a good repower for a small jeep CJ, TJ, etc but need engine controller for it as mine has to stay with the Jeep to control bodily functions etc  :D. It is complete including the Jeep AC compressor. LT engine and 8spd Auto will be here Friday. Looking for a garage to rent for 8 weeks or shop bay? Anyone know anywhere?

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
hps4evr - good comment. Yes I will strengthen the diffs and install the steering yoke braces and solid weld the axle tubes as well. I don't beat my vehicles up but yes that temptation will be there with 355HP and 386TQ. Next mod I want after this is CV front axle shafts $$$$$$$$. Once the wife gets over this one.

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 08:04:21 PM »
First UPDATE: Have the 2017 LT Chev L83 5.3 and 8L90 8 speed transmission in my possession. Unit has 17000 miles on it. This weekend I will join engine and tranny back together again as it was shipped in two boxes. I will also start to identify wiring interconnects that are needed and that what is not needed. As a note I will document this conversion for all to benefit from and with pictures. I will also post where parts can be gotten from and what is required. The aim here is not to simply pay Motech in Vegas their $7000USD for everything needed but to source the technology, tools (wiring diagrams, Programmer access, etc) and third party expertise needed to complete most of the install north of the border in order to keep the costs down. Tomorrow I will be touching base with a person that has modified computer and wiring for late model Chev engines for install in hot rods. If he turns out to be the one for this conversion I will advise on this forum.

Later fellow Jeepers.

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2019, 08:54:32 PM »
First UPDATE: Have the 2017 LT Chev L83 5.3 and 8L90 8 speed transmission in my possession. Unit has 17000 miles on it. This weekend I will join engine and tranny back together again as it was shipped in two boxes. I will also start to identify wiring interconnects that are needed and that what is not needed. As a note I will document this conversion for all to benefit from and with pictures. I will also post where parts can be gotten from and what is required. The aim here is not to simply pay Motech in Vegas their $7000USD for everything needed but to source the technology, tools (wiring diagrams, Programmer access, etc) and third party expertise needed to complete most of the install north of the border in order to keep the costs down. Tomorrow I will be touching base with a person that has modified computer and wiring for late model Chev engines for install in hot rods. If he turns out to be the one for this conversion I will advise on this forum.

Later fellow Jeepers.

You may want to contact 72Shorty on this forum, he knows the LS series programming inside out
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 08:59:42 AM »
Vinny I was just going to post that mine is an LT direct injected like a diesel. Motor is 2014-2017 (current perhaps?) I believe the programming is different but thanks for the awesome tip. I will contact Shorty. That is the help I need.

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 01:01:33 PM »
Update: 28 April, Have the transmission and engine coupled now. Yesterday I stripped the wiring harness off the engine and will ship to Motech in Las Vegas to modify and gut out the excess not required. Will be ordering all the adapters and hardware so that the actual install can take place and get the wiring back as that needs to be installed prior to installing the engine. Much easier that way.[img]IMG_1261.JPG/[img]

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2019, 08:22:13 PM »
UPDATE: Engine and gearbox is removed. I went with the Motech kit due to time constraints of not wanting to fart around trying to get someone to help with Jeep to Chev Can bus issues. I did have a gent in Lethbridge available but he did not know much about getting the Jeep ECU to talk with the Chev ECU. The Motech kit provides everything except exhaust and driveshaft changes. My 3.8 engine was sold to a fellow with a blown engine in Winnipeg. His was auto. So now only have a 6 speed manual and flywheel available. The Jeep ECU to engine to transfer case harness was a bear to get at with the engine in. So we waited until the engine was removed and got the harness out and sent to Motech in Vegas. The install will see the rear driveshaft require shortening by about 1.5" and of course same amount as an adder for the front driveshaft. Going to go with Terraflex HD rzeppa driveshaft joints. Motech have informed me that they will ship my Gen V kit on around 7 July. As soon as it gets here I refit the Chev engine harness to the engine and reinstall the modified Jeep harness. The stock rad is ok for the 5.3 and Motech provide a late model Camaro SS fan that works with the Chev ECU. Engine and tranny are installed without the engine mounts where they are installed once the engine is in place. An update will come once I get the motor  in.

Offline Sixty4X4

• CJA Members
  • Baby Wheeler
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 09:46:16 PM »
Update: Engine kit came back from Motech. They programmed the E92 engine ECU and the T97 transmission ECU, they modified the hell out of the Chev engine to firewall harness. It came back about 8lbs lighter. They give the Mocan module and all the harness connections for it. You get the throttle pedal and there is a bunch of input connections to the Jeep ECU harness such as cruise control and AC connection. A very complete kit. Also get the TC adapter and input gear to change out. Air filter system and coolant tank plus SS Camaro fan. Motech have got everything covered. Engine will go in this week or weekend. Fair bit of interior work to do though then exhaust system. Then springs and axle strengthening.

Pictures later when I learn to post them.