Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: shocks on my jeep  (Read 677 times)

Offline 1993yj

• Baby Wheeler
shocks on my jeep
« on: March 16, 2019, 04:08:27 PM »
after I got home from 4x4 ing today I saw that I had broken both my rear shocks  :o.they where bilsten 5100 .before I order new ones would anyone recommend something else?also is it worth the money to get shocks with the remote reservoir on them?

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: shocks on my jeep
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 04:37:16 PM »
Typically the bilstein 5100’s are the best bang for the buck. I wonder if yours were too short?
May be worth while to flex it out and measure for proper length shocks.
Bilstein and fox are probably your best bets.
The reservoir shocks are nice and work well when going fast and slow but definitely a big jump in price.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 07:54:23 PM »
Have ome in front. Happy with them. Had them on the back. But moved rear mounts up on  the frame realized rear shocks where limiting suspension travel. So went to the bilsteins for 4 inch lift. Have 2 inch lift in rear and am satisfied with them.
Bilstein shock engineer at the time tuned them for his yj so they work.

Offline 1993yj

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
still my old log in name .its dave .I own fiends old tj

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 09:13:42 PM »
As mentioned you should look into why they broke or risk the new shocks ending up like your current set. Unless they blew a seal or something. Right now my 5100s limit my rear suspension travel ( like the factory setup) not ideal but they seem no worse for wear.

Bilstien is great, reservoir only helps the shock keep from fading for a longer period of time. Which for the type of wheeling we do really is not necessary.

I tried procomps monotubes to compare them to Bilstein, the procomps have less travel for the same application and already had one replaced under warranty for losing its seal. Oh and they ride stiffer. I really like the Bilstiens.

For me the most useful thing in a shock (even more important than maximum travel in the application) would be valving. Since there are tons of  weight differences and after market springs with varying rates etc. for wranglers I think a shock with adjustable valving would be completely worth it..... for a little more Rancho offers an adjustable shock that you can adjust to your liking, people seem to love them. Something like that is what I will get next.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:43:03 PM by Jrama »