kln on August 09, 2006, 06:01:46 PM
The Alberta Four Wheel Drive Association is looking for volunteers to work the Canadian Off-Road Expo in Red Deer Sept 8th to the 10th.

Volunteering as a group provides the AB4WD with a free booth at the Expo for some good exposure to the 4x4 community. Income is also earned, as the AB4WD will become part of the volunteer pool. As an example, if we provide 50% of the volunteer work we will receive 50% of the cash in the pool.

For volunteering you receive a T-Shirt, free admission, reserved parking, and the undying gratitude of the AB4WD:) Snacks, pops, and meals will be provided based on how much time you volunteer. Camping is available on-site (pavement so no tents) along with access to a restroom and showers.

As to what to volunteer for it would be great if you kept it open and let the organizers place you where needed. They could really use some guys the week prior to the event for set-up.

Now this is important: At the top of the form please write "Club: Alberta Four Wheel Drive Association. This is the only way the organizers will be tracking the club volunteers.

If you're able to help and do submit a volunteer application please email me at knovakow@yahoo.com with your name and club affiliation if you've got one so I can keep track of who we've got going.

The Expo's link is http://www.offroadexpo.ca/. The volunteer application can be found on the home page.

Earlier volunteer applications stipulated that you had to attend an orientation meeting the week before. This is no longer the case.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Novakowski

SwampSinger on August 23, 2006, 08:41:24 PM
I'm in for Saturday the 9th ... e-mail sent.

Who else wants to come along?... I would suck if I would go by myself. :?

Come on guys ...it's for and organization that fights to get our trails back and to keep the ones we have now.

who's next...

dunl on August 23, 2006, 10:59:30 PM
I would, but looks like I am away that weekend.

Are there other ways to volunteer for the AB4WD?  When I declined volunteering for the Expo, I ceased to hear anything else from them.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

kln on August 24, 2006, 06:45:53 PM
Quote from: "dunl"
Are there other ways to volunteer for the AB4WD?  When I declined volunteering for the Expo, I ceased to hear anything else from them.

Shoot an email off to info@AB4WD.com with how much time you can devote and when. I'm sure they'll be able to rustle something up for anyone who wants to help. I'm not sure I understand your statement fully. Please respond or pm me. I just want to make sure things aren't getting lost in the shuffle.

Thanks for volunteering Dom. That makes 4 so far (1 FWS, 2 Nissan, and 1 CJA). The response hasn't exactly been overwhelming which isn't suprising as the 4x4 community does seem to have "walk the talk" issues.

kln

SwampSinger on August 24, 2006, 06:51:49 PM
1 FWS, 2 Nissan, and 1 CJA). The response hasn't exactly been overwhelming which isn't suprising as the 4x4 community does seem to have "walk the talk" issues.  
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Come on guys that pretty embarassing  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: ... we need a few more guys from this club.

dunl on August 24, 2006, 11:51:41 PM
Quote from: "kln"

Shoot an email off to info@AB4WD.com with how much time you can devote and when. I'm sure they'll be able to rustle something up for anyone who wants to help. I'm not sure I understand your statement fully. Please respond or pm me. I just want to make sure things aren't getting lost in the shuffle.

kln

I sent off emails, (maybe three of them?) in mid to late July, asking about volunteering.  Only response I received was one from Dan Torrance about volunteering for the Expo, or helping to organize volunteers, and that was at least a week later.  I replied back that I was unable to (I have a prior committment that was booked back in February), but that I was able to help out in other ways.  I never heard back from anyone again after that, and the initial emails I sent out were to at least three different addresses  (maybe 4, not sure), with only one reply. Basically once I waited a few days, I tried another address again.

It probably is getting lost in the shuffle, but I just figured I would try closer to the end of the summer when people were less busy (unfortunately for me, a teacher, I get busier and AB4WD just lost out on my most productive time to volunteer).  However, if there isn't someone dedicated to replying to requests to volunteer, you may have potentially had more than 4 offers so far, especially if people are asking to volunteer and don't receive a response.

Don't take it as critical, just my experience so far.  Growing pains, if you like.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

cool99 on August 25, 2006, 06:38:56 PM
I have been out with CJA twice and as of yet I am not yet a member. If it would help you out I would be happy to volunteer on behalf of CJA. Let me know.

Milan on August 25, 2006, 07:56:51 PM
I'm in for Sat. I have to bring Mark though. I sent you an email.
Keep on Jeepin'

SwampSinger on August 27, 2006, 08:38:28 PM
Quote from: "Milan"

:D  :D  :D  c'est fantastic!!

BUMP!~!!!

SwampSinger on August 27, 2006, 08:41:16 PM
Quote from: "cool99"
I have been out with CJA twice and as of yet I am not yet a member. If it would help you out I would be happy to volunteer on behalf of CJA. Let me know.

Come along...

but
Now this is important: At the top of the form please write "Club: Alberta Four Wheel Drive Association. This is the only way the organizers will be tracking the club volunteers.

make sure you do that   8)

Milan on August 28, 2006, 08:41:41 AM
Quote from: "SwampSinger"

BUMP!~!!!

Apparently having a kid with me may not be such a good idea. So I'm out. :( I may make the trip anyway, though...we'll see.
Keep on Jeepin'

SwampSinger on August 28, 2006, 01:17:20 PM
Quote from: "SwampSinger"

BUMP!~!!!

Apparently having a kid with me may not be such a good idea. So I'm out. :( I may make the trip anyway, though...we'll see.

let me know if things change ..we may be can go in one vehicule(?).

Milan on August 28, 2006, 07:08:04 PM
That sounds good. I'll let you know...
Keep on Jeepin'

kln on August 29, 2006, 08:08:04 PM

I sent off emails, (maybe three of them?) in mid to late July, asking about volunteering.  Only response I received was one from Dan Torrance about volunteering for the Expo, or helping to organize volunteers, and that was at least a week later.  I replied back that I was unable to (I have a prior committment that was booked back in February), but that I was able to help out in other ways.  I never heard back from anyone again after that, and the initial emails I sent out were to at least three different addresses  (maybe 4, not sure), with only one reply. Basically once I waited a few days, I tried another address again.

It probably is getting lost in the shuffle, but I just figured I would try closer to the end of the summer when people were less busy (unfortunately for me, a teacher, I get busier and AB4WD just lost out on my most productive time to volunteer).  However, if there isn't someone dedicated to replying to requests to volunteer, you may have potentially had more than 4 offers so far, especially if people are asking to volunteer and don't receive a response.

Don't take it as critical, just my experience so far.  Growing pains, if you like.

I'm not too suprised at the fact that you've sent a few emails offering assistance and you received no response. Please don't take this as a lack of interest. They're volunteers also balancing work, home, other crap, and the AB4WD so I'd imagine that things get prioritized as to importance as there is always more to do than the time you have available.

As a club rep for the FWS I'm also feeling somewhat out of touch with whats going on. I've been thinking of talking to Dan about setting up another position to handle volunteer requests. I also think it would be a good idea for them to get alternates for certain positions to spread out the task load.

One thing I have learned in the last 6-8 months is don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Volunteers are hard to come by. Everyone has ample time to complain but when it comes down to needing help you're talking to an empty room.  :lol:

dunl on August 29, 2006, 08:23:16 PM
I've been thinking of talking to Dan about setting up another position to handle volunteer requests.

I definately think that is the way to go.  I know from past experiences that having people get excited to volunteer, but then not recieve an opportunity - is the best way to lose them.  :(

Thanks for all the hard work.  :)
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com