Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Stewardship Info  (Read 3073 times)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Stewardship Info
« on: August 11, 2006, 10:05:50 AM »
Please check out this link on the ECO site and please respond

http://www.missioncontrol.ca/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Newz;action=display;num=1155166871
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
Stewardship Info
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »
:!:  :!:

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
Stewardship Info
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 09:43:39 AM »
From the ECO site. I hope Christine does not mind me copying it as is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi All,  
My name is Christine Poirier, many of you know me. I am trying to help the AB4WD and many of the concerned wheelers out there.
I am currently working with Intergrated Land Management  - Initiatives division. I hope with a whole lot of combined wheelin info. (hence the questionaire) I can help stop the closures of the trails and guide the management team in a positive wheelin direction.

SO.......Here are some of the general questions I am being asked to answer. Can you help?

General
„h What are you or your organization doing that can be characterized as examples of exemplary stewardship?
„h Why are you engaged in these activities?
„h What makes these activities successful?  
„h Is there room to improve these activities?  If so, how can this be done?
„h Is there company/organizational policy or a code of ethics that speaks to stewardship responsibilities of the organization and individuals of that organization?
„h In your organization, have you formalized training opportunities or modules that speak to stewardship?
„X If not, are you planning to?  If not, why not?
„X If yes, can you provide examples of codes of ethics or training resources?

Other resources:
„h What other organization or individual would you recommend be contacted for information?
„h What are they doing that you consider exemplary? Why?
„h What unfulfilled opportunities exist?
„h Who might be in a position to pursue these opportunities?
„h What can we collectively do to help foster ethic and action?

I would also love to see pictures of people fixing, build, repairing, bridges, landscape, trails and such.
YOu can send your information to me via PM.
Thanks for all your time.
Christine
If you know of another club or individual I should approach, please forward me their info.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What are you or your organization doing that can be characterized as examples of exemplary stewardship?"
I think any cleanup we have ever attended, any trail repair we have ever done can classify. Some of us have been attending cleanups/trail maintenance since the 90's, some even earlier. The CJA started with the 2000 cleanup at McClean. We also haul out garbage on almost any regular run.

"Why are you engaged in these activities? "
We believe in using our resources with minimal impact. This way both the resources and our activities can be sustained.

"What makes these activities successful?"
The people and organizations involed. Also the results of their hard work. The trails are left cleaner and in better shape than they have been for years. In other words repairs are typically able to revert several years of use in some areas. In some heavy use areas more frequent repairs are necessary.

"Is there room to improve these activities?"
Yes.

"If so, how can this be done?
Smaller more frequent projects throughout the year. More consistent practice and education of Tread Lightly or similar programs. Initiating Adopt-A-Trail program and allowing local clubs to participate in it.

"Is there company/organizational policy or a code of ethics that speaks to stewardship responsibilities of the organization and individuals of that organization?"
Typically each club or organization has their own code of ethics. (please see attached - attach CJA's code of ethics - isn't it, all of a sudden, good to have one? ;) ). We also adhere to AURS's code of ethics.

"In your organization, have you formalized training opportunities or modules that speak to stewardship?"
We have designated trail guides familiar with said policies to ensure they are followed on every club run. We also have a training program (again, isn't it good to have one ;) ) that allows new members to get familiar with these policies. In addition our club pareticipates in the annual cleanups and trail/bridge repairs. Follwoing our code of ethics is a pre-requisite to becoming a member of CJA.

"If not, are you planning to?  If not, why not?"
N/A

"If yes, can you provide examples of codes of ethics or training resources?"
See above.

Other resources:
"What other organization or individual would you recommend be contacted for information?"
Four Wheel Stampeders - http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca

"What are they doing that you consider exemplary? Why?"
Same or similar things and for same reasons. And they have been doing it longer.

"What unfulfilled opportunities exist?"
That Adopt-A-Trail program....please add other ideas here

"Who might be in a position to pursue these opportunities?"
Local Jeep and 4x4 clubs and organizations.

"What can we collectively do to help foster ethic and action?"
We can do what we do already or suggest doing, but we need the government to be aware of what we do and how we do it and we need trails to have a reason to continue doing it. We should also have other user groups made aware of how we help and have the cooperate with us rather than have them compete with us for the same trails.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured I'd never bother filling out another questionaire and besides I would not presume to have my own opinion listed as the "club's", so I urge the CJA board to fill in any blanks or correct my ramblings.

For now I hope it's OK to have Chrsitine follow this thread by posting a link to it on ECO web site.

Thank you.
Keep on Jeepin'

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
stewardship
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:03:26 AM »
Thanks for your answers Milan and thanks for starting the thread Scott. I had a link to this questionnaire posted in the executive section as a topic for us to discuss this week. If other members could list their opinions here then we can combine them and send Christine a response from the club.

I told her in a PM this week that we would get back to her after the clean up run on the 19th with some photos.

Thanks

Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline chrispl

• Budget Lift
Stewardship Info
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 12:10:53 AM »
:!: good to know,i try always to carry tools like that to fix stuff and yah
95 cherokee