Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: July Long  (Read 14253 times)

Offline ya-wanna

• Budget Lift
July Long
« on: June 27, 2005, 12:31:03 PM »
Anything happening on Sat. July 2nd,I want to get muddy!
2003 Rubicon with to much money invested

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
July Long
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 10:32:13 PM »
Hey Rick... I'd be up for a run on Saturday.  I'd like to see how your lift turned out... I just finished one myself.  Had it out on Sunday at it did pretty well all things considered.  

I don't think I'd be much use leading anywhere but I'm willing to tag along with someone who know's the trails

BTW I do have that video clip I promised of your stuck from the run on the 5th... just haven't figured out how to get it down to a reasonable size.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline ya-wanna

• Budget Lift
July Long
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 10:11:38 AM »
Right on, it would be nice to get a few trucks out after seeing the PICs from sunday, looks like a lot of water and mud!! I won't have my new tires for this one but I'm hopfully going to mount my winch. Let me know what time

Becker

July Long
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 10:17:17 AM »
Where are you planning on going out to?  

I would be interested in a run this weekend, would give me a chance to test out the new lift and tires.  But I dont have a winch yet.

Offline ya-wanna

• Budget Lift
July Long
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 10:45:01 AM »
I guess that will depend on weather as to where we can go. but I'm open to anything.

tjd60

July Long
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 11:48:27 AM »
The Waiparous area and McLean area are still under a ton of water. SRD had sent out that release a week or so ago asking people to avoid the OHV areas until further notice.

Now, given the GAMP situation and what's happening there, don't you all think it would be a good idea to steer clear of those areas for a while longer to let them dry out a bit more so the footprint from the atv's, motorcycles and trucks is not so apparent?

We are all trying to promote responsible OHV use on our public lands....and right now the only responsible use is to avoid the areas alltogether for a little while longer.

thunderstruck

July Long
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 12:04:21 PM »
With today's rain it is probably best to stay off the trails awhile longer. This weather can't keep up much longer. It's just crappy it has to come for the long weekend. There will only be 4 days to dry up and as they found out last weekend 6 days weren't enough.

Offline ya-wanna

• Budget Lift
July Long
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 12:14:48 PM »
Ya it looks like it might rain FRI. & SAT. oh well never hurts to dream.
 Maybe I will have to head to B.C. and do some rock climbing, With the Jeep of course!

FeatherFoot

July Long
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 02:15:58 PM »
I live close to McLean, and over the last number of years a one or two day rain hardly shows in the ditches.  I just came back from the city and ditches are filling fast and backing up at culverts.  The ground is really saturated.  There are three crossings that over the last 16 years I've hardly noticed, yet today one is overflowing the approach road, and the two others are backing up significantly.  

This is not a good year for the offroad community.  Lets hope we have the self constraint to not jepordize all the clean up activities, letter writing and negotiating that has been going on to retain our trails.  I know most everyone knows, but in case someone isn't aware, the SRD is threatning to close down about 90% of the Waiparous trail system and we are fighting to hang on to it.

Under these circumstances it is our discretion that determines what message we send to the SRD and to the groups who are against off road vehicles.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
July Long
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 02:47:35 PM »
Its the Long Weekend and wheelin is going to happen. Go enjoy yourselves and do mainly hardpacked higher elevation trails. Its always the irresponsible few that "kill" us and i am sure they will be out in full force.

i was at Maclean on Sat and Sun last week. The area was as dry as it normally was last year after storms. i was riding low valley areas and it is dry!  Sure, this rain will wetten things but by the weekend, things will be fine.
Go out and have fun, be safe and tread lightly. Again, i have seen this area wetter than it is now.
i will be camping Thurs, Fri and Sat nite at Maclean but i will be 2 wheelin it.
Tom :)

By the way, the alert sent out by SRD that TJD60 refers to was dated JUNE 8th.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline ya-wanna

• Budget Lift
July Long
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 03:18:22 PM »
Hey that sounds good i've never been to Maclean, but would like to.
 I have a map of the area but could you give me some suggestions on the higer elevations in the area, I don't want to be messing up the area or getting people mad

FeatherFoot

July Long
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2005, 03:30:01 PM »
Its always the irresponsible few that "kill" us and i am sure they will be out in full force.

i will be camping Thurs, Fri and Sat nite at Maclean but i will be 2 wheelin it.
Tom  

:shock: Well, that's one that we know of.

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
July Long
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2005, 03:34:43 PM »
are u calling Tom an irresponsible user?
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
July Long
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 04:00:12 PM »
Quote from: "FeatherFoot"
Its always the irresponsible few that "kill" us and i am sure they will be out in full force.

Tom  

:shock: Well, that's one that we know of.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
July Long
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 04:12:26 PM »
Bob aka Featherfoot,

How dare you. i see a post by your members going on a run last Sunday with 17 jeeps. i looked at the pics. Where is your long winded post for that run? and i think it is GREAT that they went on a run! It looked like a lot of fun.
Were you at Volunteer Days? SRD worked with us to ensure we made minimal impact and yet we did lots of productive work.
Its tiring to see you attempting to stop all enjoyment of the areas we love. No pics (even though it was an AURS related GPS project), No wheelin if it rains, etc.
i said i have been on the trail systems, have you? i saw first hand what shape they are in, have you?
The WATER erosion that has taken place has made EASY trails now moderate. 100 years of treading lightly on the trails we are suppossed to be using could never amount to the erosion and run-off caused by Mother Nature.
Its the long weekend. People will be out rain or shine.
Have you NEVER done a trail when it is raining?
Have you never done a trail when it snows on May Long?
Have you ever done any wheelin on May Long when it is at its wettest?
Well, this weekend is no different as long as we stay on trails.
IF SRD wants it closed they will CLOSE it as they have done at Indian Graves.
SAME questions for you NILS.

Also, i said that i will be on 2 wheels and i will be on hardpacked trails that may be no wetter than most of my summer rides especially last AUGUST whwn it rained evry day but 2!
Tom :evil: