Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: FJ Cruiser  (Read 18821 times)

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 07:26:51 PM »
Quote from: "gsxtacy"

steve, why does it have a name like fj cruiser?  what happens when those tailight lenses get caught on a rock?  they break...oh, guess what...they're only made in japan? oh no... it'll cost 200 buxx for one to get shipped here?  oh my... :P

The name is a throw back to the old Cruisers where it got it's styling from but it's not called a "Land Cruiser".  Toyota still makes a Land Cruiser and it's a very different vehicle.  You won't find many Cruiserheads that like them compared to the older FJ's either.  

As for the tail lights, I imagine that with any other vehicle when you break a light, you replace it.  I've been on the trail and have seen more than 1 TJ lose it's light on a tree.  I guess that's one of the reasons the LED light install is a popular mod on the Jeeps.  It also turns out they actually stock parts for these vehicles sold in NA right here on the continent.

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 07:28:22 PM »
that's a plus.

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 07:31:54 PM »
and if you want something comparable, although there's tons of them around, try the xterra.  lotsa cargo space, quite a bit of aftermarket stuff, (if you know where to look) and some comforts that make hauling the kids around quite enjoyable (torquey v-6(good on gas)) and they cost quite a bit less too.

check it out: http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t102545&v=t102312

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
FJ Cruiser
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 08:14:23 PM »
and if you want something comparable, although there's tons of them around, try the xterra.  lotsa cargo space, quite a bit of aftermarket stuff, (if you know where to look) and some comforts that make hauling the kids around quite enjoyable (torquey v-6(good on gas)) and they cost quite a bit less too.

check it out: http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/default.aspx?c=0&n=3&i=0&tb=0&ph1=t0&ph2=t0&dt=0&v=t102545&v=t102312

So you think an Xterra is better than the 'yota?
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

HIWYH8R

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 08:37:41 PM »
The Xterra was best 4X4  of the year for the last couple years in Car and Driver or similar mag.

Offline Rig-Pig

• Budget Lift
FJ Cruiser
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 08:44:10 PM »
I cant believe that anyone on this site would promote the "FJ"!!  (Foreign Jeep,  Fake Jeep, F@#$ed-up Jeep)  Just remember what boys in the hood say... "Jeep in, Jeep out."
build 'em, break 'em,
love 'em, leave 'em
same thing

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 08:44:34 PM »
h8er just said it...out of the box, absolutely!  i think it is a great 4x4, it holds it's value the same (both japanese companies), has more power, more grnd clearance, a tighter turning radius, more cargo room, etc...  Nissan did it right when they designed this, and it really shows.  Motortrend and Cn'D both gave this the truck of the year, motortrend's a few years running.  i c where ur coming from with the FJ.  in some respects, it's a great truck. i just think that there are better alternatives to be found elsewhere (i mean, for like 12 grand, you can import a used hilux surf.  nothing is proven tougher than a hilux :D )

and for us that don't need a lot of family room to go overland with, the jeep is still the best choice

pig, that's funny stuff! :lol:

i mean, what would a legend be if not built on silly acronyms such as
Just Empty Every Pocket
Just Eats Every Part
Jump Excitedly in Every Pothole
Jumps Everything Ever Parked
Joint Emergency Evacuation Plan

it's a freakin' legend, and there's nothing that can stop it, whilist the japanese work on their own:

Nasty Import Sucks Savings Away to Nippon
Taking Our Yen Out -- Thanks All

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 09:27:36 PM »

I had to put the girls to bed but now I'm back.  Miss me?  :wink:

Nissan's don't hold their values anywhere near as well as a Honda or Toyota.  They're not as popular new or used.  Better than a Mazda but not as good as the other two.  I like the X-Terra and loved driving the Supercharged 5 speed but wouldn't consider it as good as the FJ.  The FJC has an available locker, more power and stronger build.  The X-terra is great but won't hold up as well offroad in stock form.  You'll also have a tougher time finding aftermarket lifts, armour and other accesories for it.

As for pics, there are lots of FJC's that are already lifted and getting used like they were designed to.  Some more than they should have.

Here's a couple reviews and comparisons of FJC's vs. X-terra's.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0604_midsize_suv_comparison/2007_toyota_fj_cruiser.html

And a video.  http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/ViewModelDetail/make=Toyota/model=FJ%20Cruiser#1

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 09:35:50 PM »
Quote from: "Rig-Pig"
I cant believe that anyone on this site would promote the "FJ"!!  (Foreign Jeep,  Fake Jeep, F@#$ed-up Jeep)  Just remember what boys in the hood say... "Jeep in, Jeep out."

The J in FJ has nothing to do with Jeep although that's a common misconception.  The F stands for the engine type, the J is for the country built (Japan) and the 40 or other number stands for the body series.

Why not promote a member to buy the best vehicle out there?  That's why nobody has stepped up and suggested a Liberty.  :shock:

SteveO

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 09:36:43 PM »
Quote from: "HIWYH8R"
The Xterra was best 4X4  of the year for the last couple years in Car and Driver or similar mag.

:roll: The FJC is new this year and wasn't eligible.  See who wins it this year. ...Steve

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
FJ Cruiser
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2006, 09:37:44 PM »
I think Nissan spoiled the Xterra with the recent redesign. Too big in my opinion. I really liked the first generation X's.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »
ya the past x was good... and w/e each to his own, this is all just opinions, right?

i still think it's junk, like all of the "cruiserheads" and half of the jeep guys.

and now a days, there's plenty of armour and stuff avail...also, why'd my mom get ~20 grand back from the dealer (2k5) from a 96 pathfinder se with broken windshield, clutch chatter and blinking airbag light when it was bought new for ~40?

o god, more pics of that monstrosity :evil: i'm about to gouge my own eyes out :P  :P  :P  :P  RAZZZZ

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
FJ Cruiser
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 09:47:20 PM »
You guys don't know what you're talking about ....

This is the ultimate 4X4...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ... Ok I'm going to bed....

gsxtacy

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 09:52:59 PM »
WHOOOOO!!! NIVA!!! i had one of those when i was 14... put 35s under it and  broke the axles going down the highway @ 80 kliks because the i-4 wouldn't drive me any faster.  i've seen some pretty amazing things done with those 4x4s out in russia.  they run a snow race in eastern siberia, 500 mi long, ~6 times as treacharous and harsh as the baja 1000, that was fun to watch.

you win...ima goin 2 bed

Sardaukar

FJ Cruiser
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2006, 12:59:00 AM »
I was looking at this guy too, and each time one is next to my GC I have to compare... but it does seem like it has great ground clearnece, and I love the fact you can get a locker factory installed.