Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: axle seal leaking  (Read 2700 times)

CJ-7

axle seal leaking
« on: July 05, 2005, 11:47:09 AM »
ok well whos got the skills? :wink:

My cj is leaking diff fluid from the axle seal on the passenger rear tire. Eveytime I park on a slope it trickles down the tire.

Ok now.....the seals are cheap!!
   So I took off the wheel and the drum. I took off the axle nut, but I'm haveing a bitch of a time getting the (spindle,Hub thingy with the lug bolts on it) off. I have a medium set of bearing pullers but they kept slipping off.*too small*.
I phoned auto value and the dude there said he did not have the removal tool for it.

Does anyone out there have this puller or should I be using a bigger hammer.. :D

Also if I can borrow this tool I will be happy to do some free  lathe or mill work.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
axle seal leaking
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:07:07 PM »
Im not familiar with the "spindle hub thingy" on a rear axle. Are you sure there isnt a c clip, or a retaining plate holding the axle in? I've heard of people using slide hammer type pullers on those. Or if you had a jack all you could chain sling a few wheel studs and anchor the jack to somewhere else and pull it out. If its really that tight.

But Im no expert, someone else will know what to do for sure.

Good luck.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

80CJ

axle seal leaking
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 12:28:54 PM »
Well I haven't gotten around to doing mine yet, so I'm not sure what "the spindle thingy" is either. I'll pull my rear tire later and see if I can make some sense out of things. You're not trying to pull the two piece axle apart are you? If so I'm not sure you have to, but I have been wrong many times before.

CJ-7

axle seal leaking
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 12:30:13 PM »
My axle is a AMC 20 so I think i can change the seal wothout having to pull the axle out but just pull the plate off that the wheel studs are mounted to. Then slip the seal in with the axle still in the diff.

Thank you very much for your reply !!

CJ-7

axle seal leaking
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 02:17:23 PM »
Ok I hate lazy people!!!!

The first guy i talked to at auto value didn't have a clue about trucks and lied about having the tool instead of asking a person with experince.

I just phoned back!!!!! Talked to another guy

Turns out they do have the tool to remove that.   It is a slide hammer........(so this guy says)........

I'm going to go and try it out after work.....thanks for all the input guys!!!!!

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
axle seal leaking
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 02:30:43 PM »
Do you have a pic CJ? Ive been looking for a picture so I can better understand (Never looked at a 20)...

Anytime Ive ever used a slide hammer, I've smashed fingers and found a hammer/chisel to work better heh  :D

CJ-7

axle seal leaking
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 08:20:05 AM »
DUDES.............  

Thank you for the input!!!  I changed it last night.

I never needed that tool . All I had to do was remove the brk line and 4 bolts holding the whole assy in. Slide out the axle shaft with spindle still attached. Replace seal assemble.  Easier than I thought

Thank you CRAZY DAVEY!!!!    Very helpfull!!!