Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: sye for 95 YJ - when is it actually needed?  (Read 3288 times)

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
sye for 95 YJ - when is it actually needed?
« on: October 25, 2006, 09:57:20 PM »
It's not that I don't understand that this is a good modification to do, I am just wondering when it is actually needed.

Right now, I have a 3" body lift that came with my YJ, and I am thinking of lifting the suspension another 2-2.5" lift.  I am assuming that once I do that, I will definately need the SYE?

Remember....tech newb here, but trying to learn.  :wink:
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 07:24:21 AM »
The body lift has NO affect on the suspension or driveline.  If you go with a 2.5" lift you should not have a problem.  I am running 3"ish with no problems but I did drop the t-case.  Generally the limit is around 4" of suspension lift
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 08:33:07 PM »
Quote from: "BlackYJ"
The body lift has NO affect on the suspension or driveline.  If you go with a 2.5" lift you should not have a problem.  I am running 3"ish with no problems but I did drop the t-case.  Generally the limit is around 4" of suspension lift

That's what I figured...so is there any point really to spending the money on the SYE, when it could got to other upgrades instead?
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:09:13 PM »
Depending on how much lift, it cold be the first thing you need.  With my setup right now I don't need one, but I am looking at doing one so I can tuck my skidplate back up a little, plus I want to do a 4:1 kit.

There are some people that are strong adocates of SYEs but the major expense is the DS the you require to run one.  They are nice and do lengthen you DS quite a bit, but if you plan on running a smaller lift and you are not getting any bad vibrations than no, there really is no reason to do one.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 09:21:18 PM »
Well, I'm only planning to do a 2-2.5" lift on the suspension.  With the 3" bodylift, I'm not looking to go taller.

Any idea what size tires I sould be able to fit under that - possibly 33's?
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Mac13

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 09:23:14 PM »
33's should fit nicely.  I've got a 4" suspension lift with 33's and it rubs a little at full flex

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »
For argument sake, to run 33s you need about 4" of lift.  Now there are lots of variations you can do to run a smaller lift to clear 33s and there are a lot of people that run a SOA setup on 33s
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:30:22 PM »
So how does a body lift + suspension lift compare to a straight susp. lift? Simple addition, or less than that? Body lift will give some clearance, cause I have 31's on right now, and there looks to be room almost to run 33's.
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

RedYJ

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 09:36:42 PM »
Heres what I would do.  I would cut down the body lift to 1.5 inches and get a 3 to 4 suspension lift.  that would clear 33's fine, my 3.5 inch lift needs about another inch or so to not rub on the fender flares.  I would say that 3inch lift and the current body lift would be too tall.  I don't know if this would be a problem seeing as how I don't have a body lift, but would it affect the transfer case linkage with the body lift and the T-case drop?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 09:41:34 PM »
There are not a lot of people that are fans of 3" BL because the bolts become very long and then see a lot more stress.  In an ideal world, I would drop the BL down to 1", get a 2-4" suspension lift, some TJ flares and some slightly longer shackles (about 0.5" lift).

I am currently basically running this setup, 2" suspension, 1" BL, 1" shackle lift.  I will be getting some new springs here shortly, going with 2.5" RE ED springs and probably some 5/8" MORE boomerang shackles.  Or go with a RE 4.5" ED kit and call it a day
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline BUKI

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Project Fugly
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 10:05:10 PM »
That 4.5 inch extreme duty kit from rubi ex. is hardcore.  it comes with every thing from boomerang shackles to full stainless steel brake lines.  all hardware is included, even shocks i believe.  
But it is quite expensive, quoted 1400 at rocky mountain in red deer.  Well worth the price if you consider buying everything separately wold cost over 2gs.

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 11:58:35 PM »
Actually, if you look at your rear driveline angle with even a 2.5" lift, you might need an SYE unless you do the t-case drop. I have a pic of a rear shaft pre-drop that I'll post up.

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 12:01:56 AM »
Quote from: "BlackYJ"
I am currently basically running this setup, 2" suspension, 1" BL, 1" shackle lift.  I will be getting some new springs here shortly, going with 2.5" RE ED springs and probably some 5/8" MORE boomerang shackles.  

This is exactly what I'm doing, a bunch of small lifts. Standard 2.5" RE kit, 3/8" shackles and I will be buying a 1" BL eventually. I've got the SYE so I can get rid of the t-case drop and get back some clearance. Might not need a double cardan this way either.

Offline TaTtOo

• Budget Lift
    • http://www.lawrencemuller.com
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 11:32:01 AM »
I run a 3" BL with a 3" spring lift.  No problems and clear 35's quite nicely.  I do get some rubbing at full flex since I removed the front and rear track bars.  No transfer case drop.

Cheers
www.lawrencemuller.com

Jeepless (for now)

RedYJ

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 01:13:15 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe I see a transfer case drop in that picture.