Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 3pcs Half Tops  (Read 2628 times)

Abrasive

3pcs Half Tops
« on: July 13, 2005, 09:06:14 AM »
Is anyone running a 3 piece half top during the summer on a daily driver?
I have a soft top on now, but I'm thinking of picking up a bikini/windjammer/tonnau combo. If anyone could give me an idea of what to expect with regards to noise, leaks, general pain-in-the-arse'edness etc.

Any insight into how well they seal up would be appreciated. I realize that they're far from air tight, but am I going to get drenched driving in a thundersorm, or just a little moist?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kris

blackrube

3pcs Half Tops
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 10:07:05 AM »
from what iv seen of the factory half tops they use the same mounting hardware as your full top (plstic peices around the doors)  they are not the same as as a bikini top ,,half tops seal up fine ,,,cant help you with the pain in the arse factor

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
3pcs Half Tops
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 10:42:37 AM »
Your seat travel is limited with the windjammer and tonneau.

There is gaps that allow  water/mud to come off back tires and get in the gap.

They flap in the wind....noisy, turn the stereo up :)

Goodbye back seat

i love mine but i would get the safari top over the bikini top.

Tom

:)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
3pcs Half Tops
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 01:19:43 PM »
I run a safari and a duster and soft doors on my '04 TJ... no windjammer.  It's pretty noisy at 100 km/h + and when it pours rain its a little damp.. not soaking or wet but there's definitely a few spots where rain gets in.   When I park... I tilt the seats forward to help keep things dry should it rain.  I've also removed my carpets as it was really hard to keep them dry in the monsoons last month.

I love it tho and plan to run it from May-Oct every year.

fug
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
3pcs Half Tops
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:12:26 PM »
I've already got a bikini and am looking for a duster and windjammer too. I think it's a great idea.

thunderstruck

3pcs Half Tops
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:41:37 AM »
I love the look but won't sacrifice the leg room. I'm 6'1" and I like to drive with the seat all the way back. If your head rest doesn't pass the roll bar normally then you won't even notice a difference.

Offline Fly Guy

• Baby Wheeler
3pcs Half Tops
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 09:58:18 AM »
The mopar bikini top is also known for leaking water at the windshield channel. Water drips on the steering column and shorts out the clockspring wiring harness...it's happened to me twice and also to others I know of. The windjammer is nice on the highway and I've never used a tonneau cover.

edit: water also pools on the bikini top and if the first corner you take is a right turn you can end up with a lap full of water :oops: , a left turn and your passenger gets it!!!

Offline spyder

• UberWheeler
3 piece tops
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 08:09:03 PM »
I run the 3 Piece top on my daily driver and I havent had any issuses with it yet. I`ve went wheeling with it 2x now and almost no mud inside(and i like to keep a clean rig :D). As for rain I`ve been lucky enough to not have it out in the rain & I have a garage, I have washed it 2x also with very little water inside, hardy could even find any and I looked hard. It is noisy and does limit seat movement, I`m 5"9 and have no problems.
Otherwise it looks great and I love it. :D  :D  :D
Denise

Jaguar

3pcs Half Tops
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 09:16:46 PM »
I love the look of it, but I'm 6'2, and my seat is about 4-5" past the roll bar.... I really want to get a good look at the Best Top version that actually seals, I'm hoping it will flex enough..... Has anyone had any problems with their sound bar/pods being out in the elements with this top?