Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: across boarder shipping?  (Read 1786 times)

Da_chopper

across boarder shipping?
« on: July 19, 2005, 11:54:34 AM »
I just wanted to start a thread to get some information about

Which companies to use and not use when ordering parts from the states.

Duty Laws.  

Is there a shipping post close to the other side of boarder?  etc.

etc.

any imput would be appreciated.

Offline GiS

• That CB Yapper
across boarder shipping?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
Check out 4wheeler....abrasive and I had a whole thread going...

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
across boarder shipping?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 02:54:55 PM »
You get hit with big fees called "Brokerage" if you use any courier company. (UPS, FedEx, etc.) USPS (United States Postal Service) is a government agency, so to speak, and has no such fees. So, USPS is always cheaper than going with a courier, and in my experience, not much slower at all. Sometimes using a courier can't be avoided due to the size of the items, or a seller who only uses a certain company.

Duty and GST laws I can't help you with, since I don't know the exact laws, but it seems hit-and-miss with everything I have bought. I never know what customs is going to decide to charge me. One tip is to make sure the seller puts the actual selling price on the package. I've had sellers jack up the value thinking they were doing me a favour for insurance or something, but this only caused me to pay more tax.

Wif

across boarder shipping?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 03:38:04 PM »
I agree with redbull (stay away fron UPS and FedEx) .. use USPS, but don't use USPS Express .. they use Purolator coming over the border and that will ding you with brokerage fees.

As for actual customs stuff .. you'll pay 7% of the total if the value exceeds $20Can ($60Can if coming from a relative) .. and make sure the actual amount is stated. This can be very hit and miss .. sometimes you don't get charged at all .. sometimes you'll get charged if the amount is $20.50 .. depends on how busy they are I guess.
I've also had sellers put down the amount I paid inc shipping costs .. that will cost you extra (or take you over the exempt limit and cost you).
I had a guy once put down $100US on an item worth $11 .. that took some explaining when I claimed it back .. he thought he was doing me a favor if it got lost as the insurance value was up to the $100.