Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: All-terrains vs Mud-terrains  (Read 10195 times)

Offline murdajeep

• Budget Lift
All-terrains vs Mud-terrains
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:25:31 PM »
I have been doing some research for tires for my jeep when I get my 4.5" Lift and I have narrowed it down to Dick Cepek FC-II, BFG All-terrains, and BFG Mud-terrains.

My buddy is running 33's Dick Cepeks and he loves them but they are very expensive and the BFG's seem the exact same thing to me but cheaper. Now what I really want to ask is what tire out of those three I should go with.

I use my jeep for camping, and to go out to have fun. I am not really into
hard core rock climbing, and mud bogging (other then puddle hooping) but I still want a tire that will get me through a situation when the mud is deep and I need the grip. The only worry for me is the wear on the Mud Terrains and the grip in the city during winter ice. But on the the other hand the all-terrains not having anough grip to get me home if I get In deep.

I know the best option would be to go with a set of each but I am a student so 1 set is stretching it.

Thx
Dave
Murdajeep

91 YJ 4.0L 3.0" Suspension Lift  1.25" Body Lift with Mickey Thompsons MTZ 33's and a champion winch, Ford 8.8, 4.10 Gears

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:38:33 PM »
A/Ts  no good in mud period.  They just get cloged up when you start spinning.

Went throught that decision with my last vehicle.  Got mud tires and so glad i did.
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »
You could also look at Interco's TrXus M/Ts, work well in mud, rocks, dirt, and snow and reasonably priced.  Nothing works on ice except an ice/snow tire (soft ice compound with lots of sipes).
near stock advocate

merlin

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 10:56:56 PM »
i had the same conserns for me jeep when i changed my tires, i went with the BFG Mud's and i love the. they work great in the fresh snow and deep powder this winter. and the few runs that i made this past summer went with out problems. I am currently running 31's with no lift and was able to keep up with the big boys  :D .

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 06:40:01 AM »
Quote from: "Asia"
You could also look at Interco's TrXus M/Ts, work well in mud, rocks, dirt, and snow and reasonably priced.  Nothing works on ice except an ice/snow tire (soft ice compound with lots of sipes).

I went to 31" Trxus M/T's with a cheap lift in November.  There's no going back.  I don't even notice a sound difference on the highway.  The stock GS/A's were drag slicks in comparison.  Everyone I talked to recommended the Trxus.  I can see why.  Incredible tire.
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 07:37:01 AM »
Get the BFG MTs and have them siped.  As soon as you want to be able to get through mud you need a mud tire.  By having them siped will greatly improve your on street wear, increase traction on ice and they are suppose to reduce road hum.  I run siped MTRs in the winter and I have better traction that when I had ATs on my Jeep
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 07:46:45 AM »
Quote from: "RedDog"

I went to 31" Trxus M/T's with a cheap lift in November.  There's no going back.  I don't even notice a sound difference on the highway.  The stock GS/A's were drag slicks in comparison.  Everyone I talked to recommended the Trxus.  I can see why.  Incredible tire.

I run the trxus for off roading and part of the winter but have street tires for HWY driving in the hot weather. The same soft compound that makes the trxus good in the winter makes it wear quickly with summer driving on pavement.  It depends on how many miles you drive it. I totally recommend it for off road.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline murdajeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 09:22:57 AM »
Get the BFG MTs and have them siped. As soon as you want to be able to get through mud you need a mud tire. By having them siped will greatly improve your on street wear, increase traction on ice and they are suppose to reduce road hum. I run siped MTRs in the winter and I have better traction that when I had ATs on my Jeep

what is siped, where can I get it done and for how much.  From the results that people have given me here I think I will be going Mud-terrain..
Murdajeep

91 YJ 4.0L 3.0" Suspension Lift  1.25" Body Lift with Mickey Thompsons MTZ 33's and a champion winch, Ford 8.8, 4.10 Gears

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 09:32:09 AM »
Siping are the cuts in the tires that give you traction on ice by increasing the number of gripping edges, same technology used on winter tires.  I had mine done at the Goodyear Truck Center for like $25/tire but they only do goodyears I beleive.  Talk to Modern or National and they should be able to point you in the right direction
'95 YJ with a few mods

SteveO

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 09:44:47 AM »
I personally would avoid the BFG MT's as they have a tendancy to collect mud/sticks/rocks/ice between their "rim protector" and the rim and give you a slow leak.  They also tear sidewalls easily if wheeled.  I've been running a set for 4 years or so and I can't wait to replace them.  My fronts are nearly finished and the backs are pretty much new since I've had to replace them due to sidewall cuts.  My next tires will likely be the TRXUS MT's if I'm going to keep wheeling this truck or else the BFG AT's.  Just my opinion though. ....Steve

Offline RedDog

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 05:56:45 PM »
Quote from: "01sahara"
Quote from: "RedDog"

I run the trxus for off roading and part of the winter but have street tires for HWY driving in the hot weather. The same soft compound that makes the trxus good in the winter makes it wear quickly with summer driving on pavement.  It depends on how many miles you drive it. I totally recommend it for off road.

Thanks for the comments.  I'm learning as I go.  I still have my virtually new GS/A's on the stock Ecco wheels I've been unable to sell.  I was putting only about 6,000 km a year on my last vehicle until I got the Jeep.  I've doubled that because I just want to get out and go - anywhere - for no reason.  It's just a ticket to adventure.  I'm otherwise some 90 seconds from my office and usually walk or bicycle in the summer months. I hadn't thought about cycling the Trxus M/T's on their new black steels in and out of service with the GS/A's on the stock alloys or how practical it would be, or how many times I'd be doing it.

Dumb azz question:  what's a suitable tire pressure for a daily driver in city commuting use or highway travels to Edmonton or Calgary?  Is there a realistic balance between ride and fuel economy when I won't be off pavement with these 31" Trxus M/T's possibly for weeks at a time?  I really appreciate the advice.  I'm finding my way and I expect advice will determine the next steps taken into the black hole of financial drain.

Duane
I'd rather be dragging a club than clubbing in drag
05 TJ mildly enhanced • 08 Buell XB12XT • 08 Santa Cruz Superlight

Offline murdajeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »
what about pro comp x-terrains and their mud terrains I hear they are not bad tires
Murdajeep

Offline RedApe

• Baby Wheeler
    • http://www.island4x4.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 07:14:35 PM »
I've run a number of tires in the last 12 years...haven't run them all, but a few.

Yokohama Mud Diggers:
- ran in a 33x12.5x15 on an 82 Toyota LWB
no longer in production (replaced by the Geolander MT's).  Fantastic tire, tonnes of tread, and an abnormally strong sidewall for a radial. Bought these in 95, and they still serve on a Samurai trail rig, out of Nanaimo BC to my knowledge.

Big O XT's:  
$$, but worth it for the warranty IMO.
http://www.island4x4.com/4x4tech/tires/bigoxt/bigoxt.html for a review I did on them in '99.  
Loudest tire I've ever owned (more than a TSL by a long shot); sounded like a float plane cruising over the highway.

Interco Super Swamper TSL Radial
decent aggressive all round off road tire.  If I was going in a straight line, up or down, they were unstopable.  Introduce a not so straight (read off camber), and the tire was unpredictable.  "Swamper Slide" was what we called it on the 'Island.  This made me generally unhappy with the tire...how often do you go up or down something that's not off camber in some way??  :wink:

Goodyear MT/R's:
- ran in a 31x10.5x15 on a 97 TJ 4 cyl
great tire, in this size.  We ran at 11psi on the trail, and 29 on the street. Tire conformed well to terrain.  Was on a daily driver, 5+ years of use.
Friends with YJs and 33" or 35" = not so impressed.  The vehicles (both 6 cyl's) didn't seem to have enough weight to have enough contact pressure until the tire was down at 8psi or less...not really something I'd do in a radial unless I was in deep snow.

Interco TRXUS MT:
-  running in a 33x12.5x15 on a 97 TJ 4 cyl
very happy with this tire. We've run this on the street for just under 18,000K, and we still have 75% tread.  This included a trip to Kelowna 2 summers ago.  Great in the snow on the street, great on rocks, quiet on the highway.  I will buy these again!

BFG AT:
- running in a 30x9.5x15 on a 94 XJ
this tire came on the XJ I bought in Oct.  Nope, wouldn't go out and buy these on purpose.  I get better traction in snow/ice in the TRXUS, and previously in the MT/R.  In all fairness, I've never run any tire in this size....this may make all the difference if I was comparing this tire in a 31.
Road noise is more noticable than the TRXUS

That's me, from my past experiences, FWIW.
Keith <aka RedApe>
94 XJ <his>
97 TJ <hers>
http://www.island4x4.com STAFF
Four Wheel Stampeders member

Offline murdajeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 07:33:03 PM »
I have heard a lot of good things about these Interco Trxus and I have had a few comments to stay away from the bfg's..so I will do that.  Anyone ran Mickey Thompsons MTZ's?
Murdajeep

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 10:27:44 PM »
everything I've heard about procomp's line is that hey are not good for our climate.

Interco TrXus are okay as a dual purpose.

For your application I would suggest the BFG AT's. Mickey Thompson's and Dick Cepecks are overprices IMHO.