Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: All-terrains vs Mud-terrains  (Read 10197 times)

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
All-terrains vs Mud-terrains
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 07:37:49 AM »
Quote from: "murdajeep"
I have heard a lot of good things about these Interco Trxus and I have had a few comments to stay away from the bfg's..so I will do that.  Anyone ran Mickey Thompsons MTZ's?

You will hear opinions all over the board.  I have seen lots of guys run BFGs with no problems.  

Stay away from the X-Terrains, as Apex said not good for the climate

Basically, you really need to decide what is more important in tire performance.  On roading handling or off road ability.  Then it will be easier to decide.  If you go with a mud terrain, you have to realize that it is a mud terrain and you have to learn to drive accordingly in the winter.  Just like a lifted Jeep is not a sports car, even though I wish sometimes it was.

RedApe, as far as tire pressure goes, it really depends on the tire.  I typically run 28-32 psi in my 31s and 33s on the road.  I probably could go a little less with my 33s like 25 psi for more even wear
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline murdajeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 02:46:39 PM »
ya I was looking at some tires today and I realized I am not going with the pro comps.  Which is good for what everyone has told me on here.  I believe I am going to go with a mud-terrain and buy new rims for it and keep my 31's laying around for winter or long periods of time on the pavment, and then buy a set of All-terrains when I get more cash.  Thank you all for your opinions :lol:
Murdajeep

91 YJ 4.0L 3.0" Suspension Lift  1.25" Body Lift with Mickey Thompsons MTZ 33's and a champion winch, Ford 8.8, 4.10 Gears

stuckagain

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 07:16:45 PM »
there are quite a few options available for an all terrain tire that are reasonably priced and mud terrains for that matter too. PM me and I can get you some prices no both. Cooper makes a great all terrain that is more aggressive than the BFG AT there are also some off shore tires available that can compete with the BFG now too.

Offline murdajeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2007, 02:03:19 PM »
k thx
Murdajeep

91 YJ 4.0L 3.0" Suspension Lift  1.25" Body Lift with Mickey Thompsons MTZ 33's and a champion winch, Ford 8.8, 4.10 Gears

boardsnow

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 02:24:58 PM »
Quote from: "apex"
everything I've heard about procomp's line is that hey are not good for our climate.

calgary/edmonton climate?
I am in the deciding stage of which new tire to purchase come spring. One of the tires which I might pissibly go with is the procomp xterran
why is there so much dislike amongst this tire?
I looks beefy, rides smooth(someone I know has these @33").

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »
from what I understand... procomps are soft rubber that don't like the cold weather typical with our environment.
I think Scott has some more info than me... Also check the Eco forums. I think there's been a fair bit of debate on there about procomps.

Offline 4low

• Budget Lift
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »
Funny how nobody mentioned the Trxus chunking off and losing lugs in rocky situations........For that reason alone I got BFG MT's, and was super happy with them......
Is the chunking issue something that's been remedied? or just less frequently noticed?
BTL WGN

><>

Offline WagoneerXJ

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Bagon Wagon!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 12:41:53 PM »
I run 32" BFG MT's all year around. Very happy with them.
98 XJ Sport 2 Dr, 3", 33's and Bushwacker Flat Flares
87 XJ Wagoneer 5", Dana 44, 34" Swamper TSL's
97 TJ 5.2 Magnum V8 swap, 4" and 33" MTZ's- GF's Jeep
84 Mustang GT-Built 351W 5spd
97 XJ - 3.5", 31" BFG. 370,000 KMS and counting!

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
truxus mt's
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
How well do the truxus mt's stand up to sidewall puncture.  How do these tires compare to cooper stt's?

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 04:21:46 PM »
stuck again wrote there are quite a few options available for an all terrain tire that are reasonably priced and mud terrains for that matter too. PM me and I can get you some prices no both. Cooper makes a great all terrain that is more aggressive than the BFG AT there are also some off shore tires available that can compete with the BFG now too.

Can you give us some examples of the off shore tires that are comprable?  Do you have access to the truxus mt's?  Do you have any cooper stt's in yet?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 08:18:31 AM »
I have known a couple guys to run procomps tires, some MTs and another guy the X-terrains.  The guys running the MTs bought they because they were cheap.  I believe they wear fast and become pretty hard in the winter.  As for the X-terrains, they are brutal in mud from what I have heard.  B-man from ECO ran a set and I believe he said they were one of the worst tires he has ran, and he has ran A LOT of tires.

Ask Dom and 01Sahara about the sidewall strength of the trxus MTs.  I think that I am going to convince my dad to get a set of the Cooper STTs, TJ54 is running them right now and from my understanding loves them
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »
Quote from: "WagoneerXJ"
I run 32" BFG MT's all year around. Very happy with them.

yup im running 31" MT's, they did very well on a run in the snow yesterday. Im happy with them
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline murdajeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2007, 04:41:36 PM »
from the sounds of things M/T's are the way to go :D
Murdajeep

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2007, 07:21:19 PM »
The BFG is a good tire with a proven tread design.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
Truxus mt
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 07:42:41 PM »
So what are you guys getting out of a set of Truxus mt for miles.  I am looking to put a set om my yj.....  I found a good deal so I am interested....