Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: All-terrains vs Mud-terrains  (Read 10198 times)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Re: Truxus mt
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 08:26:24 PM »
Quote from: "bae146"
So what are you guys getting out of a set of Truxus mt for miles.  I am looking to put a set om my yj.....  I found a good deal so I am interested....

i would like to know as well AND :)  do they balance and stay balanced?
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline RedApe

• Baby Wheeler
    • http://www.island4x4.com
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 06:47:55 AM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"
So what are you guys getting out of a set of Truxus mt for miles.  I am looking to put a set om my yj.....  I found a good deal so I am interested....

I'm almost at 18,000 Km's on my 33's....and still 75%'ish tread left on a daily driver.  I have not had to re-balance them, and still ride relatively quiet on the highway.  I will be buying these in a 31 for the XJ this spring, to replace the BFG AT's. :wink:
Keith <aka RedApe>
94 XJ <his>
97 TJ <hers>
http://www.island4x4.com STAFF
Four Wheel Stampeders member

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 07:20:28 AM »
Quote from: "Spinalguy"

No balance problems with the tires and they run well. I only have 31" set the larger sizes may have more balance issues.

I was happy with the performance last winter when I got them, but swapped back to my street tires for daily driving in the summer. I run about 40,000 - 45,000 KM a year the Truxas got about half of that mileage and now have 50% + left on the three originals. A log ate one of the sidewalls on a trail run in the fall.  The soft compound did appear to wear faster in the heat of the summer but some weeks I was to lazy to change them back after a trail run. They are good tires but not a high mileage tire. (45,000-50,000)KM+- would be my guess from the first year of driving.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

stuffed_in_a_locker

All-terrains vs Mud-terrains
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 09:37:16 AM »
I had 35" x 12.5" TRXXUS mt's on my last jeep and they kicked butt. I would definitely buy these again. they were awesome in the mud, snow, pavement, dirt, whatever. At mclean creek you know there are lots of jagged rocks in certain area's and they did great with the rock's while my buddy's mickey thompson baja claws got chunks taken out of them. Plus the sidewall tread is amazing for when you air down. I'd go with the trxxus mt's because I loved them and I haven't heard anyone else say anything negative about them.

whitewolfdakota

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 08:12:15 AM »
I've tried most of them. I have Goodyear MTR's on now and can't wear them down enough to have an excuse to let me spend some more cash on tires. I find they don't heat up on the rocks as well as I would like and they are definitely weak in mud. I air down to 5-8 psi with outlaw II's (10") and have NEVER lost a bead. My next set will be IROC 36"s (a true 36"). Those TRUXXS are a great tire also due to side design..

http://www.intercotire.com/site.php

jeepman09

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »
I have been looking to get new tires also and the Mickey Thompson MTZ or BAJA Claw's are what has been recomended for me here in the Okanagan.. Definatly do some shopping around as i have found  $300 price difference on  a set of 4 with steel simulated beadlocks!! WOW is exactly what my reaction was... :?   now that i have quotes from all the shops here i went back to Kaltire who was the the most expensive and they beat the best deal and they have great service too.. just my opinion but definatly donot be afraid to shop its worth the time and effort!!

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 11:56:18 PM »
I have started looking at a tire upgrade, and was hoping to get a few more questions answered on Mud Terrain Tires.

How do they ride on the highway, also is the noise going to be that noticeable over the wind, hehe? How are they in the city, i've heard its possible to have them jump around a bit at lower speeds/stopping.

I am basically looking at getting some 31x10.5s for a DD, and weekend warrior when i have the time. Cheers!

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2007, 07:09:23 AM »
Quote from: "fony3"
How do they ride on the highway, also is the noise going to be that noticeable over the wind, hehe? How are they in the city, i've heard its possible to have them jump around a bit at lower speeds/stopping.

The howling will be heard over the wind but after a little while all the noises just blend together.

On the highway to me they ride like any other tire same with the city.  Where you will notice the difference is that not many MTs, however more and more are coming out with SIPES.  Sipes are what give you traction in very wet and icy conditions.

If you are looking for a good on/off-road tire look at the Toyo MTs, Cooper STTs, BFG MT, Goodyear MTR, but I would stick with the Toyos or STTs as they have siping and are basically an improved design over the MTR.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »
Now will this size of tire fit on my stock 15x7 wheels? I ask because the quote I got on 4 goodyears was the same as 5 trxus and Steelies!

How does everyone find the trxus in rain and ice, do they need to be or can they be siped?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2007, 01:46:52 PM »
Now will this size of tire fit on my stock 15x7 wheels? I ask because the quote I got on 4 goodyears was the same as 5 trxus and Steelies!

How does everyone find the trxus in rain and ice, do they need to be or can they be siped?

I have seen upto a 12.5" wide tire mounted on a 7" wheel, but I would not recommend more than about 10.5".  Also most if not all the tire vendor list a recommended wheel width for the tire.

If you look at the Trxus tread pattern you will see that they are already siped.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2007, 02:15:39 PM »
Thanks for the help, I think i'll give em a shot!

Does it matter that they are not radials?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »
Does it matter that they are not radials?

Which tires are not radials?
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »
I though i read that the trxus arent radials, but i see now that its the STS that are bias and radials.

Thanks again for all the help!

Offline murdajeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2007, 03:09:57 PM »
well bought the Mickey Thompson MTZ's 33's
I absolutley loved them.  I would go 2wd through most stuff that
my friends would have to go 4wd through.  They are a bit noisy on the
hwy but hey it's a jeep thing for a reason.  Wheeled with
a buddy with Truxs Mud terrians 33's and he kept having problems
with his tread clogging up mine seem to clean out the tread even at a low speed.  I would definitely recomend anyone out there the MTZ's they
are a little more than the Truxs but worth it!!!

Cheers
Dave
Murdajeep

91 YJ 4.0L 3.0" Suspension Lift  1.25" Body Lift with Mickey Thompsons MTZ 33's and a champion winch, Ford 8.8, 4.10 Gears