Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: CJA EXECs  (Read 6178 times)

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
  • She Thinks My Tractions Sexy!
CJA EXECs
« on: February 11, 2007, 10:44:05 AM »
Will this pass as a frame mounted tow hook? I moved them forword so as to be unobstucted by the fairlead mount.

The winch mount is 1/4" plate and welded to  3/8"x1 1/2" risers, so it'll clear the boltheads holding the winch down.
Take a Compass!
Its Awkward when you have to eat your friends !

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
CJA EXECs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
What grade of bolts did you use?  Also it would be nice to see a little bit wider view for a picture to get the overall affect
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
CJA EXECs
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 02:20:02 PM »
The Nuts & bolts are gr8
Here are a few more pics.

Take a Compass!

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
CJA EXECs
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 03:10:34 PM »
None of my business but as an outsider I think you're asking the CJA executive to go out on a bit of a limb with this. I wouldn't want to be the person to tell you that it's safe just before it actually does let loose and kills somebody.

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
CJA EXECs
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »
I agree, this is my personal opinion here. No one on the Exec is an engineer, well a real engineer anyways.

While I'm no engineer (this is my opinion), I would personally move the tow hook to the same bolts that hold the winch plate down to the frame.

Make sure they are grade8, and even double nut em on the bottom if possible.

Also that winch sits pretty far forward. Really far forward. Now if you're winching there will be up/down stresses on the winch plate. Especially if the front end of the rig is up, and the winch is trying to pull it down. That creates shearing forces on the bolts that hold the winch to the plate. As well as the plate to the frame. An 80lb flying winch is something nobody wants to see! (That goes for heli-coil inserts or anything that changes the mating of the threads with the bolt-up hardware)

I would seriously look at trying to get the winch a little further back towards the grill. You have the stock swaybar there (so a few inches can be used), relocating the stock swaybar under the frame would make it easier. Or upgrade to the Currie Anti-Rock unit. $$ I know.
If you need to, put more bolts thru the plate to the frame, even if you need to drill a hole in each side framerail.(Engineer want to comment on that?)

That looks like a mega big winch, with some rusty cable too. Time for a respool of the cable and check for kinks, rust, etc.

You asked!  :roll:
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
CJA EXECs
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 06:18:32 PM »
Yes I did ask, & the reason I asked is that trail ride/club requirements state frame mounted tow points. Since I plan on joining the club in the future I thought I would ask.
As for the mounting of the winch I agree it sits forword the winch plate is actually built to and beyond superwinch specs from thier web site.
I know its difficult to see in these pics but there is a third bolt going through the winchplate at the rear to the front swaybar mount. All the  bolts are grade 10 holding the winchplate to the jeep and grade 8 holding the winch to the plate.
The bolts holding the winchplate down thread directly into the frame so theres no way to "double nut" them.
I felt moving the hooks forword was preferable to having bolts 2" long before they caught a thread in the frame.
I would like to see an pics of how else to mount a winch on the factory bumper if any one wants to post them.
The cable is rusty and does in deed need a respooling, but from what I've seen of it, theres no kinks or broken strands in it.
Take a Compass!

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
CJA EXECs
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 07:19:17 PM »
I'm on the Exec.  I'm not going to make that call. The rules clearly state front and rear tow hooks. Ultimately it is the vehicles owner that takes responsabilty for the condition of his/her jeep.

I can't see how strong your winch is, 9000lb is common so let's assume that. If you have to use a snatch block on a tree back to that tow point. You could effectivly have 18,000 lbs pulling on that tow point. If it breaks you could kill or severly injure someone.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
CJA EXECs
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 08:20:49 PM »
Quote from: "TJ54"
I'm on the Exec.  I'm not going to make that call. The rules clearly state front and rear tow hooks. Ultimately it is the vehicles owner that takes responsabilty for the condition of his/her jeep.

X2

If u move the fog lights out a bit switch the tow hooks side to side and use longer grade 8 bolts with a proper hex head and blot throug the tow hook and winch plate to the frame
TJ with some stuff

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
CJA EXECs
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 09:23:49 PM »
Those nuts holding the tow hooks do not look like grade 8.  Chris would be able to tell better but grade 8 hardware is usually coated is looks goldish, those nuts are not.

Also using a snatch block does increase the pulling power but each line will still only see 1/2 of the max.  If pulling 18,000 lbs, each segment of the cable will only see 9,000 lbs

Go buy a universal mounting plate from PA and it will solve your problems
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Yellow RUBI

• Budget Lift
CJA EXECs
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
Thanks for the input!
Take a Compass!

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
CJA EXECs
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 10:06:02 PM »
Take a look at Ian's, Blair's, Tyler's Jeeps in the members rig section as they all have the stock bumper and a winch mount.  From the looks of it Tyler has the universal mount.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
CJA EXECs
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2007, 05:30:15 AM »
Quote from: "TJ54"

I can't see how strong your winch is, 9000lb is common so let's assume that. If you have to use a snatch block on a tree back to that tow point. You could effectivly have 18,000 lbs pulling on that tow point. If it breaks you could kill or severly injure someone.

I agree...

One has to make sure that everything is solid bolted or welded on his/her Jeep. What we enjoy doing is extreme and can have extreme consequenses if it's not done right.

Be safe....

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
CJA EXECs
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 06:24:52 AM »
Quote from: "Rookie"

If u move the fog lights out a bit switch the tow hooks side to side and use longer grade 8 bolts with a proper hex head and blot throug the tow hook and winch plate to the frame

Steve has posted the same fix I used to install my winch.  

Changing the hooks left to right in the original holes should solve the clearance problem.

If you remove the plastic bumper end caps then the fog light will move over to one of the holes on the outside end of the bumper. Hope that works for you.

The winch looks good. Nice upgrade to your rig. More people should start with a winch first before going to a big lift.

Hope to see you out at a meeting or on a run soon.

Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
CJA EXECs
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 07:30:34 AM »
Quote from: "BlackYJ"

Also using a snatch block does increase the pulling power but each line will still only see 1/2 of the max.  If pulling 18,000 lbs, each segment of the cable will only see 9,000 lbs

Next time we meet you will have to draw me a pic, and explain that to me. I am sure you are right, I just don't see it right now.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

boggjr

CJA EXECs
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 05:30:11 PM »
cause it is on a pully