Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Rear Tow Hooks  (Read 1391 times)

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
Rear Tow Hooks
« on: February 26, 2007, 12:10:07 PM »
What does this club require for rear tow hooks?  I have a custom rear bumper bolted on with 6 grade 8 bolts that a tow strap wraps around around in the event I need to be towed.  Will this satisfy the rear tow hook requirment?

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Rear Tow Hooks
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »
What type of vehicle is this on?
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
Rear Tow Hooks
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 01:03:49 PM »
!990 Comanche

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Rear Tow Hooks
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 01:21:07 PM »
It is tough for us as a club to say your tow points are good or not.  The main thing is, is the tow point safe and strong.  You can have 6 grade 8 bolts, but if the bumper is 1/8" wall thickness it probably could bend or break.  Same thing is you can have a super beefy bumper, but it is held on my 1/4" bolts.  Since wrap the strap around the bumper, would you also be able to get a winch hook around it.  You can wrap a strap around a bumper but it typically is not a good idea to use a clevis/shackle to hold it in place or to bring both ends back to the other vehicle.  You should wrap it through one of the eyelets to hold it in place.  Also is it accessable if you are buried in a hole?

The main things to look at are
-Strength of the material
-Strength of fasteners
-Can anybody get a strap around it or a winch cable safely without damaging the strap/cable
-Is there any potential that the strap can come off during a pull

Based on those you can look at it and say, yes I feel it is safe.  I have since my dangerous setups in the past, and some had potentially very dangerous outcomes.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
Rear Tow Hooks
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 01:27:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Yes it is strong and safe.  Had used it many times to be pulled out at Jeep Jamborees.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Rear Tow Hooks
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 02:29:45 PM »
Quote from: "rws"
Thanks for the reply.  Yes it is strong and safe.  Had used it many times to be pulled out at Jeep Jamborees.

I have an XJ.

I know when you install aftermarket bumpers on these Uni-frames ... they come with HD brakets.  The place where the stock bumper is attached the the Uni-Frame is not recommended to tow or pull on. That is what i read.

whitewolfdakota

Rear Tow Hooks
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 10:01:03 PM »
Quote from: "SwampSinger"
Quote from: "rws"

I have an XJ.

I know when you install aftermarket bumpers on these Uni-frames ... they come with HD brakets.  The place where the stock bumper is attached the the Uni-Frame is not recommended to tow or pull on. That is what i read.

Ditto to that!