Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: undercoating/rust/paint protection?  (Read 2973 times)

Jaguar

undercoating/rust/paint protection?
« on: August 12, 2005, 07:02:58 PM »
I Just picked up my new Jeep last week, and decided to pass up on the protection package this time. Is it really worth it?
I forget exactly what comes with the package, but the only thing that really sounded usefull was the undercoating and rust protection. But even then, on my last Jeep the undercoating started cracking off after a year or so, and the rust was developing on the surface (hinges, etc), that isn't covered by the rust protection.

I know of the shine factory, but who else does this around Calgary?
Anyone not get the package and regret it?

Thanks!
Michael

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 11:36:21 PM »
I have an 02 with an undercoating spray. I definately like having it especially when I take alook under an older TJ. the only thing I would recommend is getting it double sprayed to get a thicker layer on it. $50 slipped into the palm of the undercoater would go a long way to get even protection. The problem is meeting the guy. Mine is definately not so even... wish I had been there when they did it. One funny aspect of the undercoating is being able to tell where i drag my t-case skid across an obstacle. it is probably most usefull against all the salt / gravel on the roads during winter rather than mud and water.
anyways...mymtwo (gimped) cents.

Da_chopper

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 05:05:56 PM »
I think you have to get it reapplied every 2 years or it voids the garentee. I could be wrong though. Also I look at the paint closely before and after. They got little black spots all over mine TJ, errr.

Dragonmaster

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 05:32:28 PM »
I negotiated it into the sale price after I beat them down almost $6000.  Is it worth it?  Depends how you use your rig.  If it sees long raod trips in the winter and the daily grind on the CaCl covered roads here in Calgary then it probably is.

Jaguar

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 04:54:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip, but your right, it's hard to meet the guy thats actualy doing it. Did you get the dealership to do yours Apex?

The dealership never said anything about coming back for the undercoating, but I think your right, it needs to be touched up/ re-applied every 2 years. You'd think that they'd have the common courtesy to cover your Jeep while spraying!  :roll:

6 grand! damn, nice job! Wish I had bargaiing skills ;) This jeep is my DD so it'll see alot of winter driving, but I thought we used more gravel than salt out here?

Any suggestions on a good shop?

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 06:34:33 PM »
they don't use salt they use calcium(sp) its susposed to have something in it to make it noncorosive to metal but the city spent alot of money making aluminum tanks for it (makes you wonder)

Steve
TJ with some stuff

henry

undercoating
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 08:49:26 PM »
I have never been a fan of undercoating, seen and heard too many bad stories about it (however ,none on Jeeps) about the undercoating stuff lifting slightly and water getting underneath it and prematurely rusting the metal under the undercoating, without being able to see it.  That was a long time ago, maybe its better now, I don't know.

The fleet I work on consists of approx. 1500 heavily abused cars and trucks, and none are undercoated and they are from brand new to 1998.  I don't see any problems with rust etc underneath them, its a waste of money in my opinion.

I suppose it would work great (Line X or whatever) on the outside of a Jeep (like a rock guard or something) or the inside of a tub.  I know that has been done and probably works and looks good, I'm just not a fan of it underneath the vehicle thats all.

Darren :twisted:

CanaMatt

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 01:33:18 AM »
I am pondering the idea of Line-X'ing my interior tub of my YJ. Is this a good idea? or just a waste of money. I am thinking about not even putting the carpet back in after washing it, if I line-x. Perhaps just use the rubber mats front and back seats. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

twoponchos

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 10:09:35 AM »
Not worth the extra money.  Most of the cost goes into the salesmans pocket.

Get your undercoating done elsewhere..

my .02

Jaguar

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 06:18:01 PM »
Quote from: "twoponchos"
Not worth the extra money.  Most of the cost goes into the salesmans pocket.

Get your undercoating done elsewhere..

my .02

Yeah, thats what I figured and why I didn't get them to do it.... Still looking for places here to get it done at though.

canamatt, Alot of people go that rout. If my Jeep wasn't so new I'd prolly go for it. It makes it ssoo much easier to clean and maintain. The only downside, is the tub above the exhaust piping will be hotter than the carpet. I have also heard rumors that the tranny tunnel can heat up some too, but not sure about that one. It's alot of work, but if you wheel alot, then it's worth it.