Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Advice Needed: 2007 Wrangler Rubicon 4 Door  (Read 8466 times)

Offline dhlo

• Winch Wench
Advice Needed: 2007 Wrangler Rubicon 4 Door
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:58:37 PM »
Does anyone have any advice on purchasing the 4 door Wrangler Rubicon?  The good, the bad, needed gear, good dealer, etc.  We're looking at a stock Rubicon.

We're expecting a kid in a month and don't want to buy some family vehicle (mini-van my @ss) , so the 4 door should fit the bill.  We won't be driving much around town, but will do the occasional road trip.

Thanks!
Dean

'81 CJ-7 - Rust is love!  :D

JeepInMud

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
Only thing I have heard is that the new hardtop is very prone to leaking

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »
I bought my '06 Rubi at Tower (by Southcentre Mall)... really liked them (as much as you can like a dealer  :roll: ). It was a good experience and good after sale service too... call to remind you about your oil changes, ect.

When I was looking I also went to Courtesy (Auto Mall) Both dealers were very informative and friendly (and really wanted my cash  :wink: ). Courtesy told me the engine they put in the '07 is the same one they put in one of their vans so it should get better gas mileage but I don't believe it's as powerful as the old ones (some of the other guys on this site would have a better insight to that). Didn't test drive the '07 though so I don't have any thoughts on handling, ect.

Tower provided a Sahara for the Show & Shine - seemed roomy enough for a family vehicle. I also spent a lot of time on Jeep's website - great source of the technicals, ect. but as far as the non-manufacturer sponsored information, I haven't heard anything much. I did hear through hearsay (back in Nov) that some wheelers preferred the '06 to the '07 in terms of off road performance which is why I jumped into my '06 (and when I was buying her, my sales guy told me he'd heard the same thing which is why they had bought all the '06s from the other dealers that they could, but I took that with a grain of salt). But if you won't be wheeling her much, I wouldn't be too concerned about that and opinions might have changed since then anyway...

Good luck with the new purchase and enjoy!!  8)

Jack's Jeep

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:46:56 PM »
Ha Ha,  You said "Stock Rubi"!!
You can't put much more into a Wrangler.

You should find some of these sites very helpfull.

http://forum.jkboard.com/

and

http://project-jk.com/

Were just waiting till they get the '08's ordering sorted out then we'll be ordering the Unlimited Rubi in Rescue Green.

I don't really think dual tops are an "option" either.  You gotta getem.  I'm pretty sure they've worked out the leaks for 08 too.

All the info you need is on those sites.
Cheers.

Jack's Jeep

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 08:07:31 PM »
By the way,  I do not have a JK or a Tj or Cj or other Wrangler and I'm not an expert "offroader",  "wheeler" or what ever you wanna call Jeepaholics, but,  No One is saying that the JK is beat Stock for Stock by any other Wrangler in history.  Yea,  they've never made a more capable Stock Wrangler, (Rubicon) ever.

That is according to everything I've read by the Pro's.  It's also less expensive and easier to modify.  No one driving a TJ YJ or CJ should be offended.  They have actally succeded in improving an Icon.  And that's not my opinion, it's everybody's.  

Except for one thing that bugs me for now.   One tiny little thing.  
The engine.

The engine has been a point of arguement for a while.  everybody scoffed at it untill they wheeled it, then decided that if performs like the I6 except for the peak torque coming in at higher RPM's.

I wish I could hold out for the Diesel's that should be ready by 2010, but I can't.  My '99 XJ needs Mods sooner than later and I want a stable daily driver.  So she's getting the Rubi and I get to modify my XJ.

Hope that helps.  Ask me anything,  I've been waiting for an XJ replacement since 2002 and have been researching the JK since it was a spy shot.

Offline Brink

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 09:30:16 PM »
Is it gonna see trail action?

Just off the top of my head I can't see buying a Rubi for a street driven daily driver.  Higher price tag, worse gas milage.  

Just a thought.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:18:20 PM »
the 3.8L V6 was offered as an option in the dodge caravan. if you're going to buy a caravan, buy one with this engine. i dont think it was the right choice for the new jeep JK. but it isnt a bad engine. i think they should have reworked the 3.7 from the jeep liberty. or put the 4.7L V8 in the JK. we've done a few lifts at national and they go real smooth. easyto lift. and yes, they can fit some bigger tires then the TJ's. some lifted JK's have had minor issues with the traction control/roll control coming on sooner because it has a higher centre of gravity due to the lift. but since that one issue we havent had a problem. do you research on the kit you want to go with. my opinion is the same for TJ's. do it right, do a long arm kit. yes, it is more expensive. yes, it is more technical to install. but it will out perform any short arm. ride nicer than any short arm. and generally handle safer than any short arm. there are a couple long arm kits for the new JK. i know the rubicon express long arm kit fits 37" tires and makes a joke out of any obstacle. or... buy a YJ and be hardcore with leaf springs;)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 07:38:17 AM »
Buy a an XJ...  :wink:  :D  :D  :D

unionjack

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »
buy a yj with a 350 ci conversion......................like mine :lol:

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:52:35 PM »
Quote from: "Brink"
Is it gonna see trail action?

Just off the top of my head I can't see buying a Rubi for a street driven daily driver.  Higher price tag, worse gas milage.  

Just a thought.

i agree, buy a Patriot instead.
Besides those 4 door jeeps are hideous looking :lol:

TK 8)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
jk
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »
i say buy a white Rubi !   4 removable doors and lockers would be a nice start    

....and then if you dont like it,  ill buy it off you.  :wink:

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 09:32:32 AM »
Quote from: "Jack's Jeep"
 Yea,  they've never made a more capable Stock Wrangler, (Rubicon) ever.

That is according to everything I've read by the Pro's.  It's also less expensive and easier to modify.  

The newer wranglers are better for those that actually have no interest in modifying.

By no means is the JK any easier to modify. Their are only 2 aftermarket gear and axle manufacturers, and only 2 ratios available.

The rear suspension bolts off the rear bumper if you are shooting for any kind of travel at all.

The gas tank is in a horrible spot because of forced changes due to crash ratings.

The motor is garbage and way underpowered. The manual transmission is still the weak mecedes unit they swapped to in 05.

The steering box is still the junk mecedes box that is prone to snapping that has been in wranglers since 03.

The electric lockers are unproven.

The automated swaybar misses the mark since it fully disconnects.

The traction control , abs, frilly interior are all attributed to the wranglers new "godlike" capabilities, but those things completely sway from the path of jeep heritage, and definately are not things actual offroaders aspire

Many of us take pride in the simplicity of jeeps, and how they have kept it simple for so many years.

Do you really need power windows and locks in a vehicle an eight year old can reach across?

The new wrangler is designed to cater to a completely different demographic, meaning the yuppies and soccer moms of the world.

For most jeepers, what wranglers do out of the box has never been the primary reason for buying them.

That said, regardless of what they have done to the new wranglers, we can still take a beat up 2000$ YJ, 1 weekend and a couple thousand bucks in parts and wheel circles around JK's a, day long.

Like so. Pink pinstrips an all  :D  :D

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Jack's Jeep

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 09:47:58 AM »
Quote from: "Bnine"
Quote from: "Jack's Jeep"
 Yea,  they've never made a more capable Stock Wrangler, (Rubicon) ever.

That is according to everything I've read by the Pro's.  It's also less expensive and easier to modify.  

The newer wranglers are better for those that actually have no interest in modifying.

By no means is the JK any easier to modify. Their are only 2 aftermarket gear and axle manufacturers, and only 2 ratios available.

The rear suspension bolts off the rear bumper if you are shooting for any kind of travel at all.

The gas tank is in a horrible spot because of forced changes due to crash ratings.

The motor is garbage and way underpowered. The manual transmission is still the weak mecedes unit they swapped to in 05.

The steering box is still the junk mecedes box that is prone to snapping that has been in wranglers since 03.

The electric lockers are unproven.

The automated swaybar misses the mark since it fully disconnects.

The traction control , abs, frilly interior are all attributed to the wranglers new "godlike" capabilities, but those things completely sway from the path of jeep heritage, and definately are not things actual offroaders aspire

Many of us take pride in the simplicity of jeeps, and how they have kept it simple for so many years.

Do you really need power windows and locks in a vehicle an eight year old can reach across?

The new wrangler is designed to cater to a completely different demographic, meaning the yuppies and soccer moms of the world.

For most jeepers, what wranglers do out of the box has never been the primary reason for buying them.

That said, regardless of what they have done to the new wranglers, we can still take a beat up 2000$ YJ, 1 weekend and a couple thousand bucks in parts and wheel circles around JK's a, day long.

Like so. Pink pinstrips an all  :D  :D

Sounds like someones jealous.

I think you're wrong on a quite a few of those points.  I'm not going to get into it with you 'cause like I said:  I'M NOT THE ONE SAYING ITS THE MOST CAPABLE, MODIFIEABLE WRANGLER EVER.... EVERYBODY ELSE IS.

It never ceases to astound me.  Everytime a new jeep replaces an old one everybody gets upset like a 2 year old missing his fav toy.

Go fight about it with people who care.

http://forum.jkboard.com/

Offline cotaman

• UberWheeler
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 10:07:21 AM »
:shock:  :shock:
hmmmm.... Bnine is considered is kinda the Ghandi of Jeeps in this club.... he has probably forgotten more about jeeps that you will ever know :P .  and to set the record straight .... MOST peeple are jealous of the jeeps that HE builds up for himself, his wife and just about anyone else that wants it done right.  So Bnine's opinion holds more water around here than someone that knows JACK's about JEEPS 8)

:P
98 ZJ, 5" lift, 4.10's, 33" Dick Cepek Mud Country's, 231 swap,  winch/bumper, rock rails, lincoln locker, CB, parked, waiting to pass SK insp
01 WJ, the pavement princess that has been mirror deep in a hole
RIP -- 88 XJ, 3" Skyjacker, 31 MT

Offline rws

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Stump Grinder
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 10:08:46 AM »
I think Bnine is just stating the facts.