Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Waiparous - CJA mapping project - UPDATE2  (Read 18732 times)

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
Waiparous - CJA mapping project - UPDATE2
« on: May 27, 2005, 03:46:32 PM »
So the plan is to gps and document the trail system we have been given by the AURS.

The weekend is June 3-5th.
There will be camping out there, hopefully somewhere close to our trails that we want to document. Hunter Valley trail is one of them.

So, this 'event' is open to CJA members and non-members alike.

Come out and help us document and gps the trails!

Well, for Saturday and Sunday, the plan is to meet at the gravel pit at 10am. (Can someone tell me where the 'gravel pit' is?

(Though, based on this map, and the close proximity to our trails, would it not be better to meet at the Fallen Timber Staging Area?) Since one of our trails is the East Leg of Hunter Valley Trail.

For Friday, I guess we could coordinate here, and figure out where to meet, what time, where to camp etc. I have the day off, so I wouldnt mind heading out, finding a camp, maybe doing a quick day run as well.
Anyone care to join me for friday night? Otherwise I'll seeyas at Smitty's in Cochrane for 8am.

Also, there is rain being forcast for thursday & friday, so I would assume that it might also rain on the weekend.
So, if its raining, we would have to make a judgement call whether to wheel and do our trail runs, or sit in camp, stay dry, and keep the insides wet with liquids!

Cheers
Chris
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Brink

• UberWheeler
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 12:41:33 AM »
Sounds great Chris.  Count me in.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 07:21:06 AM »
I'll be there with Henry too....  8)

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
sweet
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 05:14:58 PM »
right on...  eagerly awaiting more info.

I am camping out there near the ridge of the S.Ghost that weekend. Will need directions to the trailhead/staging area.

It'll be my first run with you guys. Looking forward to it if I can make it.

Cheers.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 06:45:28 PM »
I was wondering if we could get more details.  There are a couple people that would like to come down from E-Town that want to camp.  Also are the people just going out for the day(s) just going to meet at Smitty's and if so what time?

Thanks
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 04:46:09 PM »
Quote from: "BlackYJ"
I was wondering if we could get more details.  There are a couple people that would like to come down from E-Town that want to camp.  Also are the people just going out for the day(s) just going to meet at Smitty's and if so what time?

Thanks

May I suggest Smitty's at 8  leave at 9 sharp on saturday. same on sunday if required,
That should get us to the gravel pit by 10.

Gravel Pit   N 51 deg  22.582 minutes
                 W 114 deg 59.875 minutes

go west from cochrane  on Hwy 1a
go north on hwy 40 (940)  If you drive past the gas plant on the south side of the road, you have gone to far.
keep going north, the pavement turns to gravel, keep going North you will drive over a cattle gate then you will see a unloading station on the left and a cadet camp on the right, keep going north. You will pass a couple of small campgrounds on your right.  The speed limit will drop to 50 kph??

Look for a large open area on your right (east) that is the gravel pit.

If you understand these instructions, you will probably get to lead the mapping group  :lol:
It is about 45 minutes from cochrane

"Can someone tell me where the 'gravel pit' is? "

Chris, did you really not know this? it is just south of the airstrip. Where you drive across the river to get onto meadow creek trail.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 04:57:26 PM »
Quote from: "TJ54"
Gravel Pit  
N 51 deg  22.582 minutes
W 114 deg 59.875 minutes

Look for a large open area on your right (east) that is the gravel pit.

Chris, did you really not know this? it is just south of the airstrip. Where you drive across the river to get onto meadow creek trail.

I have only been past the airstrip once, and that was returning from New Years Eve Carnage Trip '04. The day I almost wrote off three jeeps! Including my own! So needless to say, I needed to change my shorts, pants, socks, pull the pucker marks off the seat, and lend a hand to Brink and SwampSinger as well. So I was not paying attention to "Oh, that looks like a gravel pit". I did notice the Airstrip though.

I kinda thought it was out by the airstrip (afterall, they had to build it somehow). But I wasnt sure.

Anyhoo, now I know!

That sounds like a plan, leave Smitty's by 9am, be at the pit for 10!
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 06:06:42 PM »
I'm in if its cool. Gravel pit @ 10am. Hopefully I'll have a CB by then. If not I will just yell really really loud. ;)

Has anyone else heard of the specific trail closures in Waiporous area? Recent grizzly attack has closed some trails. Hopefully this will not affect the run.

Cheers!
 :mrgreen:  :shock:  :mrgreen:

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2005, 07:19:45 PM »
Off topic

Who is the smart arse who changed me from CJA member to "baby wheeler"   :evil:            

:lol:  :lol:
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 07:37:31 PM »
Quote from: "TJ54"
Who is the smart arse who changed me from CJA member to "baby wheeler"   :evil:            

:lol:  :lol:

Heh, it wasnt me, but I can change it back! Heh, you are only as old as you feel! :lol:
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

henry

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 05:17:17 PM »
If anybody needs to borrow a CB, I have a portable/universal 8)  CB.  (no, its not FRS or whatever the walkie talkie thingers are).  I will bring it with me on sat.

Darren

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 10:02:39 PM »
I wouldnt mind coming out if someone has a spare seat but i would probably just be dead weaight since i dont have GPS or maping skills
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2005, 10:11:18 PM »
Anyone heading out friday during the day? I have the day off, so I wanted to head out, maybe setup camp, and do a quick scouting trip or a quick run.

Any takers?

Cheers
Chris
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

michie

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 09:06:08 PM »
Pat and I won't be able to come this time, as we are on holidays before the baby comes:)

Have fun everyone

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 10:39:58 PM »
OK, since no-one has said they are out camping friday night, I am gonna do some errands on friday. I'll seeyas out at Smitty's for 8am on saturday. I'll have my camping gear, in case folks are planning on staying out overnight.

Seeyas on sat!
VA6CPL
Jeepless....