Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Recommendations for my wedding reception location??!?!  (Read 3959 times)

Offline 4low

• Budget Lift
Recommendations for my wedding reception location??!?!
« on: September 12, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »
Hey all;
My fiance and I are trying to plan out our wedding ceremony reception locations, but we are having troubles with finding a place, we would prefer something "nice" and not "community hall-ish" or someplace with basketball nets......haha...
considering this is the first time we've done this sort of thing we don't know too many places to look, so I was wondering if you guys could throw out suggestions and stuff for me/us to investigate and inquire about?
any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike
BTL WGN

><>

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Recommendations for my wedding reception location??!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:56:59 AM »
Quote from: "4low"
Hey all;
My fiance and I are trying to plan out our wedding ceremony reception locations, but we are having troubles with finding a place, we would prefer something "nice" and not "community hall-ish" or someplace with basketball nets......haha...
considering this is the first time we've done this sort of thing we don't know too many places to look, so I was wondering if you guys could throw out suggestions and stuff for me/us to investigate and inquire about?
any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike

Devonian gardens downtown.
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:12:53 AM »
If its small...The Dean House.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »
I don't think the Devonian lets you have the reception there, just the ceremony.

We had ours at Heritage Park. Prices were very good and you have a choice of locations depending on numbers. Opera House, Hotel, etc. We got married on the boat, then rented all the rides too, which was a blast and made for way better photos than standing around the Devonian. Reception was in the Opera House and the catering was fantastic.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 12:16:21 PM »
Country Hill Golf Course is very nice as the rooms over look the golf course and valley below.  My brother had his reception there and from what I remember prices were reasonable
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 01:02:50 PM »
Slovanian Canadian Club.  Looks like a quansit on the outside but inside is really nice.  Carpeted dining room with a full service bar off the dining room.  Commercial kitchen on site for the catering company, sunken hardwood dance floor with a stage on the other side.  Best of all it is CHEAP, I believe that it cost us about $400 dollars, they gave us the keys thursday evening and we didnt have to give them back untill sunday evening.  Not good for large weddings though, but I think that it would be ok for up to 100-125 people.  Good luck.

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 10:55:07 PM »
Get a hold of the Calgary Exhibition & Stampede...there's some nice rooms down there. You can book the Rotary House for a small gathering, Ranahans in the Grandstand overlooking the race track, or the Palomino Rooms in the Round Up Center.

Lots of info here, as well as contact info: http://www.stampedevenues.com/swf/index2.html
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2007, 10:49:27 AM »
Speaking from experience, the Palmonio room is expensive. Like $10k for a day in the entire room.

The big questions is how big is your reception and do you want low key or splash. Central? North?South?

I have worked in every major hotel over the years, so I have a good idea of what is out there.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
wedding
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2007, 10:39:41 PM »
http://www.cathedralmountain.com/

we eloped  here in June.   you can rent the whole place out too.
we got married just out side of our log cabin, along side the river.
dinner, accomodations and wedding ceremony all in one shot, very convenient.   very beautiful.  no arguments over wedding planning, and no internet or cell phone so its pretty secluded,

its located at the base of takakaw falls,  behind spiral tunnels,  5 kms from feild BC.

Dave

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 03:31:59 PM »
Went to a wedding at the Ranch House in Cochrane. It was nice.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

SteveO

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 08:28:01 PM »
We had our reception at the Highwood dining room at SAIT.  Very nice place, held 145 people I think, and the food was amazing and reasonably priced.

Offline Rig-Pig

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 10:07:06 AM »
all i can offer, is dont go to the blackfoot inn!!!   i just got married there this summer, and they hit  me with a $2000 alcohol bill after all was said and done.  after seeing the list of booze we supposedly went through, it averaged out to 8 drinks per person, including children, 3 pregnant women and about 10 people who dont drink.  

But if u want a nice place, try the springbank golfcourse.  the prices were the best by far, and the only reason we didnt do it, was a personal matter with the manager.  good luck, and congratulations!!
build 'em, break 'em,
love 'em, leave 'em
same thing

Offline spyder

• UberWheeler
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 09:23:08 PM »
We got married and had our reception at the Glenmore Inn. No complaints and the price was fair too. Great food and they really worked with us.

Offline Rodjock

• UberWheeler
  • Drives the Jeep of Awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 08:57:26 AM »
My sister also had her reception at the Glenmore Inn, and we had a great experience as well. And worked with her too - for example there was a dinner that was recommended to her that they had taken off the menu, and they had no problems doing it. No crazy extra charges either. Another great thing is that if you have a lot of out-of-towners (especially the kind who like to drink) the hotel is right there.