Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Clear Cut Logging at the Ghost  (Read 1549 times)

chadlh

Clear Cut Logging at the Ghost
« on: November 05, 2007, 05:14:31 AM »
So whats up with us not being allowed to 4X4 on cut lines and stuff at the Ghost and here their clear cut logging.  I was very saddened to see total emptiness and piles of logs before dropping down into the Ghost valley.  I was predicting something like this to my wife a year ago (jokingly) and I guess it was true.  Someone is trying to hide something.  I wonder who got the money under the table to pull this one off.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »
The pine beetle is threatening the forest so they have allowed Logging to ACCELERATE.
Some 'others' will tell you that the predominant forest in Waiporous is UNAFFECTED by the pine beetle.
So, is it Teddy Moron that allows this nonsense?

Oil, gas and forestry will be the staple of our province. It is not their fault they are where they are asked to be or pay big to be there but we should not be upset with any INDUSTRY. They have no beef with us.
Cattle, Outfitters and AOHVA are another story entirely and will stop at nothing to shut down 4x4's.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Git er dun

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 05:02:36 PM »
Thanks Spinalguy!  I completely agree with both statements; our economy relies on oil, gas and forestry, and pine beetle infestations must be aggresively managed.  Just look at BC where they waited too long; it is decimated.  That doesn't keep our trails open and doesn't look nice, but it is important.  Here is a link to more information on the pine beetle.  I can try to round up more information if anyone wants me to.  

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/forests/health/pestalerts/mountainpinebeetles.aspx

As for keeping our trails open, SRD and other forest users are starting to recognize our efforts and are including us in more and more discussions before decisions are made.  It won't be a quick process, but we are starting to move in the right direction.  The AB4WD will be sending out a newsletter soon with more info.