Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Frame Work Update  (Read 1244 times)

Jeepchick78

Frame Work Update
« on: November 23, 2007, 11:54:52 AM »
Sorry this update has come a bit late.

Brad Churchill has been a rep for motorcycle use during these meetings, he has updated the following:

Good Afternoon Everyone.

Over the past couple of months I have been in attendance at the various Land Use Framework "Growth And Resource Management" group meetings, participating in what I hope will be a sound contribution to future land use here in Alberta.

I'm pleased to announce that the final report is now in final draft form, and am comfortable that it can be provided to those of you who are interested.

It's important to note that this group was mandated to provide guidance at a very high level, as opposed to lobbying for specific trail access. The recommendations are in the report, and you will see that those recommendations do not condemn ohv/recreational use, but rather suggest an infrastructure whereby ohv/recreational use is acknowledged on an even basis with other land uses here in Alberta. The report also suggests a framework whereby individual regions have "regulated autonomy" (kind of an oxymoron here) to ensure the balance is maintained with regard to land use.

One of the most prevalent (at least in my mind) outcomes is the concept of "zero net loss", which means for example, if a trail is to be opened, then another trail must be reclaimed in an area, thereby ensuring our land inventory is available for use to future generations. This also means regulation, and regional accountability for use/abuse.

One consensus was overwhelmingly clear: Government was NOT to have a role in how the land is managed (too much political darn). As you will see, it was suggested that government only play a role in implementation of the framework and it's rules, incentives, and penalties. The framework itself is to be implemented and governed by a body independent of the GofA.

Anyway, in closing, this was a great group to work with - very respectful and professional - and if other areas of the Land Use framework go as smooth, I believe our future as recreational users, has a much brighter outlook.

Respectfully,

Brad Churchill.

I am unable to attach the final draft - can anyone post it for me? Or feel free to Email me: [email protected]