Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: what a tcase looks like when it blows up at 120km/hr  (Read 9470 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
what a tcase looks like when it blows up at 120km/hr
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »
Is the rear shaft ok? A new front is only 230$. Used case 1000$.

Its less then a 2 hour job.

Let me know.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 01:57:36 PM »
Well, if I'm gonna repair the heep, I'll do it to original spec or better than original.
Plus, if I repair it and keep it as my DD, I'll mile out my lease.
If I buy a winter beater, I don't want to drive that back up north.
If I buy a quality used truck, I'll have something to drive to work up north, and to haul the heep.

Methinks a used F350 diesel is gonna be my xmas present, with an Atlas or a Stak come spring.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 02:13:47 PM »
Quote from: "Elsifer"
Because of the tires and lift, no warranty for me.

Thats a load of BS and I would try to fight that one  :evil:
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 02:14:54 PM »
wtf... why did they nix your tcase?

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »
Which dealer did you take it to?
3.9 CTD - 7000R4  NP241c SSYE, Dana 44.  9 inch, 4.10's  and 37's

Offline calltrex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 06:12:28 PM »
take the lift off and borrow someones stock wheels and take it somwhere else...
........___________
.......//.......""""......\\
....=//___________\\=
.....(@)___JEEP_(__@)
......\____I===I____/
.../""""/........J
../""""/=(=)___....../""""/
./___/............==/""""/
....................../___

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 06:46:40 PM »
buddy... yer welcome to my 29's.
I can put the 33's on for a while.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 07:02:15 PM »
Chris, if you have to, I trailered my willys home a few weeks ago on a U-Haul for about $65...not a bad price, no limit on miles.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »
Once denied, its recorded. Taking it somewhere else will just be a waste of money.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 08:03:54 PM »
You could always pick up a regular NP231 for a couple hundred and a used shaft just to get you back on the road real quick and then save up for an Atlas.

Did they have any ideas why it blew up?

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 08:08:38 PM »
You could also try calling Chrysler, telling them you're a member of a local jeep club (no need to say which one), and tell them you're unsatisfied with th dealer response.  Tell them all of us back here would like to hear what they say.

Be polite, be calm, and if you are unsatisfied, just explain to them why. You might not get it covered, but you might get something for your call, especially if you state you're with a "jeep" club.  

If you don't act like some kind of radical, make sense, and explain your points clearly, that is exactly the type of individual they DON'T want going back to their Jeep buddies complaining about their products.

EDIT: I just noticed it was 73,000km...  :shock:

"If the warranty is void because of the tires and lift and that caused the transfer case to explode on a highway at only 73000, how can you justify this vehicle as being rated for off-road use?"
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »
Quote from: "dunl"

"If the warranty is void because of the tires and lift and that caused the transfer case to explode on a highway at only 73000, how can you justify this vehicle as being rated for off-road use?"

Exactly!

Well, I told them to drop the shafts, put em in the back seat, and prep it for towing. I had not much of a choice in where roadside took the vehicle, and they could have at least given me options, rather than a "Nope, we won't cover it". And no explanation as to the diagnosis either.

I'm not happy, they will know about my feelings, and as an opportunity to gain a customer, they certainly lost one.

At this point, I'm really tempted to leave the heep there, and stop paying my lease, and let Chrysler financial sort it out. But I'm not that type of person, but the though had crossed my mind to start over with a much older jeep.

Regardless, I'll take my jeep, keep the shattered tcase for posterity, and put it in my garage, and it will become my toy and project.

I picked up a truck, pics to follow tomorrow when I bring it home. I've postponed school till may/june, and I'm going back to work on Jan3. So by the time may comes, I'll have an atlas or a stak in it, and the jeep quite possibly paid for.
Blessing in disguise.
Look out MayLong.
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 08:37:33 PM »
Ask the service manager to give you a detailed explanation, in writing, of why and how the lift and tires caused the failure. Keep asking questions, when he says the bigger tires put more stress on the t-case, ask him in what way, make him explain the physics involved.. When he says the lift caused unacceptable u-joint angles, ask him what is the maximum angle a Spicer u-joint can be operated at (and then go to Spicer to find out what is the maximum angle).
The point is, keep harassing him (but always be polite and courteous), make him put everything in writing, make him write you a book about the reason's for denial.
Do not threaten legal action unles you are prepared to go through with it. I read somewhere a few years ago that once the customer threaten's legal action, the dealership is advised to cease all communication with the customer and get their lawyers involved.

Don't back down too quick, keep challenging them. If they say something like they were advised by DC not to cover modified vehicles, tell him you want to see a copy of the correspondence from DC. If you keep asking for more and more details, the SM may just change his mind and cover it just to get rid of you.

I would keep it at the same dealer ond try a bit harder before taking it away. As Bill said, it is a waste of time taking it to another dealer once it's denied warranty.

In a nutshell, just become the biggest pain in the arse he has to deal with, but as always, remain polite. You don't want to give him a reason to refuse dealing with you. And always insist on talking to the same person, don't let them pass you around to different people.
Good luck.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

yjcanibul

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 08:42:33 PM »
hey Chris,  sorry to hear of the misfortune,  perhaps the service mgr where you bought it or where serviced will go to bat for you on the warranty ... lift/tires sounds bogus ... you rubi looks almost stock ...

one thing I learned about chrysler and warranty is dont give up if your getting the shaft ...

for atlas get a price from gemini for advance adpt items
www.gemini-sales.com/

also,  jbconversions has new 241OR t/c's rocktrac 4:1 for about 2100$ ...

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
Unless the guy you deal with is an actual jeeper, and not all are, you will probably be able to show him the way around a jeep a lot better than he can.  Therefore, Like Vince said, keep asking for details and have them explain, in writing, why they're denying it.
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com