Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: what a tcase looks like when it blows up at 120km/hr  (Read 9474 times)

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: what a tcase looks like when it blows up at 120km/hr
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2008, 11:32:31 PM »
i'd at least contact jeep through their dispute resolution section in the user manual before i tried to make jeep look bad.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Tribal Jeep

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »
i'd at least contact jeep through their dispute resolution section in the user manual before i tried to make jeep look bad.

true.
I got mad just reading this, so I can imagine what Elsifer is goin thru. I hope you can get this figured out.. I have had a bit of sour and grudging dealings with dealerships in the past.. it's unfortunite that some people out there dont want to go out of their way to fight for other people.
it is too bad for those guys though, nothing but a lose lose situation.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »
yea but we got it good in canada in so many ways when it comes to consumer or personal protection.  no matter what problem you have there are agencies out there that can help, and usually do help.

we don't have The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that the US has but we have pretty close.  maybe some day we'll get there.

http://camvap.ca/eng/consumers_guide.htm is what we have and they are pretty good from all I have read.  only problem is, they won't fight for you over 3rd party accessories or items.  i read a lot about them when i was looking into warranty issues with oils like amsoil and their 'doesn't void warranty' claims.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

dlarrivee

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2008, 11:27:18 PM »
Why was 4wd engaged at 120km/h on what looks like fairly dry pavement in the first place?

Offline cotaman

• UberWheeler
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »
i am pretty sure that he WAS NOT in 4wd  on the highway at 120km/h. :P

with the way the jeeps are built with no selectable hubs on the front axle :D,  the hole front assy turns all the way back to the chain spinning in the tcase. so if something grenades in the case and the piece jams in the chain spinning at that speed...  well the pics show the result :o
98 ZJ, 5" lift, 4.10's, 33" Dick Cepek Mud Country's, 231 swap,  winch/bumper, rock rails, lincoln locker, CB, parked, waiting to pass SK insp
01 WJ, the pavement princess that has been mirror deep in a hole
RIP -- 88 XJ, 3" Skyjacker, 31 MT

Offline Toyman

• UberWheeler
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »
Reading about this warranty issue really burns me up.  I had a ZJ that was plagued with tranny issues.  Chrysler avoided replacing it at every cost and just patched the problem.  The tranny went through 3 major repairs when it was owned by my aunt.  The tranny eventually blew up and left her stranded on the highway.  The local dealership said they would not cover the replacement of the trans, even though it was still under the warranty period.  A letter to the president of Chrysler Canada is what it took to get the trans replaced.  Now I'm not too sure what the exact problem was, but the trans whined loudly and shifted hard.  This issue started at just under 3000km!  The trans was replaced when I bought it, but I still had problems with it.  Like when the CPU went and there were none available in North America....?   ???

FWIW: If I were  you, I would go to one of those Chrysler dealerships in town that have brand new vehicles (preferably a Jeep) which have aftermarket lifts on them and act as a potential buying customer.  I would ask what the warranty coverage is on the vehicle now that the height has been modified with a lift and tires.  I would find out as much as I can from someone at the dealership that is in a position to know, not assume, like the service manager.  Ask if you could get something in writing verifying how the drivetrain warranty is affected by the fact that vehicle has been lifted and sold to you as a brand new vehicle. 

I'd then write a letter to the head office of Chrysler Canada.  Keep it factual and ask for a response as to why your major drivetrain component has been declined warranty coverage under the prescribed period.  Ask them for answers as to why they are selling modified vehicles if they aren't going to offer the same warranty coverage on them.   Explain your situation, soon be 4th year trade, looking at a diesel pick up and tell them that this issue has deterred you from buying a Chrysler product. (providing you didn't buy a Dodge diesel!)  I would also include that you are in a Jeep club.  I would ask that your be issue be resolved and the replace the T-case.  If you are not happy with the initial response, resend it to someone higher up.  I would keep on them, rattle their chains at the head office level. 

To me, this is a matter or principal, not money.  Isn't this the same company which is going to offer "lifetime" drivetrain coverage on selected new vehicles? 

04 Rubi

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2008, 04:31:50 PM »
If I were  you, I would go to one of those Chrysler dealerships in town that have brand new vehicles (preferably a Jeep) which have aftermarket lifts on them and act as a potential buying customer.

Nice.....I like this approach.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com