Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Please Read..  (Read 775 times)

born2jeep

Please Read..
« on: December 27, 2007, 09:32:49 PM »
This is not jeep related, but I wanted my fellow jeepers to be able to see this as a reminder.

Last Night during dinner(at home), the GF and I smelt something burning, so we quickly started to investigate. We could not see anything, but the smoke was getting thicker, and was now on all three floors of the house. At this point the smoke alarm is going off and I realize that it is was coming from the vents, which had soot flying out. Right away I shut off the furnace and grabbed my fire extinguisher from the garage. When I got down to the basement everything seems to have calmed down with the furnace off, so we preceded to open all windows and turn on the fans.

After the rest of my dinner I went down to check out the furnace and discovered that the main fan motor had seized up, and started to self destruct.

After about an hour most of the smoke was clear and with the help of the fireplace and a few space heaters, we stayed warm all night.

Even though nothing was really damaged, and no one was hurt, the point that I'm trying to get at is this:

You should all check your smoke detectors, and probably you insure that you have a charged extinguisher somewhere at home, because you never know what may happen. We could have been sleeping and if the smoke detectors didnt work, someone may have gotten smoke inhailation,  or with the soot flying out of the vents, the house may have caught fire.

Just a bit of a scare that I thought I would share.   :lol:

Sam

BTW my furnace is only 6 years old and it is well maintained. The new GE motor cost $98.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
Please Read..
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 09:35:48 PM »
Glad to hear you're both okay.  :shock:
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline LanceM

• Budget Lift
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/lancemacwilliam
Re: Please Read..
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:56:01 AM »
Thanks for the reminder, glad to here the happy ending
If it ain't broke, it ain't mine.