Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Any known trails in the Strathmore area??  (Read 1221 times)

trailstump

Any known trails in the Strathmore area??
« on: December 31, 2007, 07:56:29 PM »
I have not heard of any trails here in Strathmore ... mind you its all prairie.   But what about near Drumheller??    I've heard talk but don't know where it is!    Heck, even if I could find a piece of farmland to go chewin on i'd be happy!   Thanks in advance!

Offline cotaman

• UberWheeler
Re: Any known trails in the Strathmore area??
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:15:24 PM »
chances no one will tell you about a hidden trail or a secret spot :-X .... because once the word get out.... the place gets overrun and then the spot gets shut down.... >:(

your best bet is to get to know some of the wheelers in your area and maybe they will show you where they are :o

very few secret trails / spots are ever discussed on open public forums ;)

98 ZJ, 5" lift, 4.10's, 33" Dick Cepek Mud Country's, 231 swap,  winch/bumper, rock rails, lincoln locker, CB, parked, waiting to pass SK insp
01 WJ, the pavement princess that has been mirror deep in a hole
RIP -- 88 XJ, 3" Skyjacker, 31 MT

trailstump

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 09:36:28 PM »
Went out New Years day and found an awesome trail outside Drumheller  ...certainly need atleast rear lockers in one section ...kinda hairy this time of year ...at one point I slid backwards down a hill and had to keep the thing from going sideways.   I think next time i'll bring chains!     Anyways there really are no runs around here in Strathmore besides a friends mudbog on his land.   I'm gonna look into a spot near Carsland and see if its any good!   Apparently there is a nice little run up there that goes for about a km.   Happy trails!!

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 07:53:20 AM »
My understanding is most of the Drumhellar area is privately owned land or park land that you should not be 4x4 on. Do you know who owned the land  where you were? If it is private land you should have had the owners permission. I hope you did. If it is provincial land you should be aware of the rules for that area. Different parks and provincial forest land use zones have different rules.  Some research on line before going into an area would provide that information.   It’s fun to explore but know what area you are heading to and make sure it’s permissible to be out in a 4x4. If you took these steps and followed the rules then good and thank you. If you did not then you are adding to the problem and negative public perception we are facing by trespassing and / or breaking the law. It is the responsibility of the driver to do some research in advance and know the rules for the area. I hope that is what you did. 

A second note of caution, please don’t wheel alone.  Bad things can happen when you least expect them. After an injury accident on the trail yesterday this is something we are all very aware of.    There is safety in numbers and the help of others.  I realize that you live east of town and that most of our open runs are west but I would encourage you to come on the next CJA open run and wheel with the group. Most times the minimum requirements for the open runs are proper tow points, a strap with looped ends (no hooks) and a CB for communications on the trail.

End of my rant.

Thanks,

Blair
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:22:43 AM by 01sahara »
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

trailstump

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »
The trail that I found again was outside Drumheller by about 45 minutes.    A friend I have in the area pointed me in the right direction as it is on his step fathers land.    I certainly would never attempt going onto someones land without permission ..it'd be like someone driving on my front lawn!  ...just not kewl!    Anyways, it took me a while to find it but i'll tell you it certainly is a spot that is what some would call a gold mine.   Almost looks like a dried up creek bed in some parts ...however its mostly mud and brush.    The owner (the step father) was very open to even heading out on the trail with me and my friend until we came up to ...what I call ...Marble Hill ...lol ...its a part of dried up creek bed that goes for about 40ft up a steep hill and is littered with allot of smaller rocks  and patches of ice! ...the first attempt I made was in 4 high ...doing about 20km/hr ....I got 1/2 way up and then I slide back down while still trying to keep traction.     That was the hairy part!  lol   So I backed up a little more and engaged my locker bypass switch and hit the hill in high with all lockers engaged and barely made it!   With chains I think I could have made it with just my rear lockers. There is no way in hell I would have made it other wise because you can only back up for 15 or so feet before you back into boulders the size of Christmas Turkeys!   After that its not so bad.   But to get up to some fun parts one is forsure gonna need lockers!   Anyways, from talking to the land owner he does not mind if his step son's friends come out ...just as long as we all stay on the beaten path.    This is by far one of the only trails up around Strathmore that I can go ... so its certainly only gonna be a place for those very very close friends of mine! lol   ...I'm even thinking I might even make him a steel gate for his property so that I can have the privilege to go whenever I want!    Its all about give and take!    Anyways, i'll forsure be out with the CJA sometime when I get the chance.   You guys sound like allot of fun and certainly an experienced group of guys and girls.   And by the way ...what a fantastic site!