4x4 Related Groups > Tech Talk

HELP! MY WIFE "PUT AWAY" MY SHOP MANUAL

(1/3) > >>

henry:
Any advice would be appreciated, like I said, my "instruction manual" has been put away somewhere and I can't find it. :lol:

I'm changing the stub-shaft u-joints in my front axle.  (88' Comanche, Dana 30)  So far I have removed the front brakes, caliper, caliper mounting bracket and (3)13mm 12 point bolts that hold wheelbearing hub into the spindle.  Drank 2 beers.

I have two questions, is there clips that hold front axles into carrier, (like on rear axle?) and do I have to remove the large nuts/cotter pins etc.  on the end of the axles, or can I just simply "pursuade" the wheel bearing hubs out of the front spindles with the axle shafts, then replace u-joints on bench and reinstall?  

Basically I don't think there is anything to take out inside carrier to remove front axles, and my bearing hubs are just kinda seized into spindles but I don't wanna hammer out bearing hubs, while leaving something inside the carrier and wrecking everything.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Darren 8)

Brink:
If my memory serves, just pull the cotter pin and the big nut (36 mil I think) if you want to seperate the shaft from the hub.  Otherwise you should have it loose as one piece already.  You've already done the rest.  May be easier to work on the u-joint seperated from the hub in the end anyways though.

Piece of cake  :wink:

Brink:
Oh yeah.  No clips or anything to mess with in the carrier.   Right you are.

henry:

--- Quote from: "Brink" ---Oh yeah.  No clips or anything to mess with in the carrier.   Right you are.
--- End quote ---

Cool, thanks!! So I'll just keep "pursuading" the bearing hub out of the spindle, I'd rather keep it all in one piece and not take off the 36mm Nut.  But I guess it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again
Darren 8)

BlackYJ:
On the D30 there is only 1 c-clip and that is one for the vacuum disconnect version to hold the intermediate shaft in place.  Otherwise just pull the shafts out and you are good to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version