4x4 Related Groups > Tech Talk

Which tires to get?

(1/4) > >>

tukinc:
Hi All,

I've been lost without my daily reading of the site forums... glad to see they are back up!

Anyway, I have had some problems with the front end of the Jeep recently (death wobble on Calf Robe bridge) and the dealership said all 4 tires were out of round.  Hard to believe with a 2003 TJ with 45,000 km on it... :?  They wanted me to replace them all, I said no way to a new set of stock tires, and wanted to look for a better deal...  

Started doing research and took it to National 4WD for a second opinion.... brilliant service, and very helpful guys pointed out it was probably the steering stabilizer.  Took it back to the dealership and they replaced it for free under warranty.  Now the problem has disappeared...

So, I stopped looking for tires... now it just happens that on the May long weekend I went wheelin... and what happens... punctured a sidewall on a rock hidden in some snow.... so now I have to get new tires! :x

Long story short, I'm sick of the stock Goodyear Wrangler GSA's... they are horrible in the winter and they have only lasted 45,000 kms.  I want to go bigger, but have a VERY limited budget...  So, the question is... what is a good all around tire for a daily driver, that I wont hate in the winter, and that still can get me where I want to go off road.  Hopefully road noise is acceptable too.

I've been looking at the BFG A/T, Bridegstone Dueler Revo, Firestone Destination M/T, all in a 31 x 10.50 x 15.  All of which are crazy $$$$  Is there a place to buy quality second hand in Calgary?  What should I look for?  Are there other brands and models to consider?  

And finally, if I do go bigger, how does the ride change on a stock TJ?  Is fuel economy really effected?  What else do I have to worry about?

Thanks for helping out.

henry:
Can't beat for all around usage, BF Goodrich All Terrains.  I would suggest 2" coil spacers for a slight cheap lift, and then 31's, then you're good to go.

Darren 8)  8)

Milan:
Just slap some 31x10.50 BFG ATs on a call it a day. No lift needed on the TJs.

SwampSinger:
Tuknic,... don't go with the Bridegstone Dueler Revo... they are good all season tires but the rubber is too soft and you'll ware them out in a year or so. I had them on my XJ and they lasted me just over a year...(about 35,000KM)...

I never had BFG A/T but your sure see them on alot of Heep out there.

There's my 2 cents... good luck

fug:
Count me as another vote for BFG A/T's.

I replaced my Goodyear GSA's with 31x10.5 BFG A/T's within 4 days of buying my TJ and I can't say I regret it.  In the few days I had the Goodyear's I was not impressed with their performance in snow which is why I replaced them.  The BFG's are great in the snow.  They also handle pretty well in the rain and aren't overly noisy or anything.  I'd definitely buy them again.

They are pretty pricey but I have seen them for sale used around town (in the bargain finder or on various 4x4 websites).  

Fug

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version