Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: new jeep, need your knowledge  (Read 1162 times)

ducky

new jeep, need your knowledge
« on: February 04, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
I am new the jeep world, as i just purchased my first jeep, 05 TJ rubicon,  I have owned several 4x4 in the past, but never really put anything into them, i would like your option on   1) - lift, 2) - tires, and 3) - winch, I basically need a good all round jeep for hunting and fishing, and a little fun, in all my web searches and talking to many jeep ppl, my conclusion is: 1) - 3 1/2 R.E  super flex short arm lift, 2) - BFG Mud-Terrain™ T/A® KM2 or either KM, 3) warn 9.5TI winch, also which place would be a good dealer/installer to use,  modern or national, thanks again for your help.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: new jeep, need your knowledge
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 12:34:08 PM »
for all around, i believe bfg AT are the best.  street, winter, summer etc. 
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
My dad has the 3.5 RE SF kit on his LJ and it is a nice kit.  Another option is to get the 4.5" kit but with 3.5" springs.  For a good all around tire I would also look at the Toyo MT and the Cooper STT and stay away from teh Truxus MTs, crappy tire.   I would look in the 33" range maybe 35s if you really what.  With 33s and lockers front and rear, you will get through a lot of places.  Any Warn winch is good and the 9.5ti has been around for a bit and alot of people use them.  I like the 8274s but that is just me.

As for install places, check out National 4wd and Modern Motors for in town here.  Other places include North Shore Off-Road (vancouver), Northridge 4x4 (washington)
'95 YJ with a few mods

stuckagain

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 03:17:15 PM »
When you are ready for tire prices drop me a line I think I have been very competitive in the tire market for a few members from the website!

Offline BrokenAxle

• That CB Yapper
    • Broken Axle home page
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
i do lift installs out of my garage at home.  i'm a certified mechanic with a well equipped shop.  i also am cheaper than any shop.

Dave

ducky

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
thanks for your input, for tires Ii was thinking about 33", 285 75R 16, I would like to use the stock rims, ( if possible ) not sure if it would rub or  would I  be better off with 265 75R 16, is there any real difference between the two? what's to gain or loose? thank again.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 04:29:45 PM »
the 285 is a 33" tire, where the 265 is about 31" tire. with the 3.5" lift you should be fine with a good 285 on stock rims. look at the mickey thompson atz or mtz. there may not be many of them around yet but they work great, even the dick cepek fun country 2 is a wicked good all around tire. check the load rating on the tires too. look for a C load range. C is 6 plys and it gives a nicer ride and flexes better then the 8 or 10 ply tires. comes down to what you plan on doing. ive been using the same goodyear mt/r for 5 years and have 70,000kms on them with lots of tread left. mud, rocks, street. they do everything just fine. but the mileage has been great. so any tire you go with will be fine in the end im sure, just dont cheap out at wally-mart.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 07:20:40 AM »
thanks for your input, for tires Ii was thinking about 33", 285 75R 16, I would like to use the stock rims, ( if possible ) not sure if it would rub or  would I  be better off with 265 75R 16, is there any real difference between the two? what's to gain or loose? thank again.

My dad put the 285s on his LJ because wanted to reuse the stock rims and did not want his tires sticking out too much.  The load ratings on the 285s are going to be either D or E.  The Copper STTs are a D rated tire.

GO WITH THE 285s!!!
'95 YJ with a few mods

ducky

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 06:31:18 PM »
thanks for all your input,
has anyone tried the firestone destination MT tires? or micky thompson mtz, , or bfg mt , all in 33"
, in 285/75r/16, how would you rank them?, what are your thoughts?, thanks,