Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: XJ Bumper/Winch Mount - need 4 more to save money  (Read 13153 times)

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
XJ Bumper/Winch Mount - need 4 more to save money
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »
     I was talking to Eric (Brink) from the Edmonton jeep club today. He has designed a bumper for the XJs using input from all the guys and gals up their.
     For him to build one it will cost $500  but if their is 5 or more it will cost $425. I want one, so trying to save some coin I want to see if I can drum up 4 others. If anyone is interested let me know.
     The link to the section is http://edmontonjeep.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2276 . The unit is built out of 3/16 steel and is gusseted. light and strong.
     Remember that if you don't want the winch right now you can use the bumper as a tow point until the winch comes along.
     Also on Friday when I was in talking to the guys at Modern thy mentioned that coming this summer their is going to be a sail on warn winches. So if you already have the bumper to mount it on, you don't have to factor that cost in at that time.
     If anyone is intersted let me know.
Aaron Way 403.454.1598
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

born2jeep

Re: XJ Bumper/Winch Mount - need 4 more to save money
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »
I could be interested for $425...

Does anyone have a pic of it mounted? And at how many points is it tied into the unibody?

Thanks,
Sam

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 08:40:58 PM »
The mounts in that pic look very short, I would make sure that they reach back as far as the factory tow hook mounts do and if you are really smart you'll get the steering box bolts incorporated into it as well. Its actually very easy to do if you are building a bumper anyway and you would be VERY surprised how thin the unibody is there(think sheetmetal!) I pulled the heads of my steering box bolts THRU the frame. Any reinforcement you can do here will pay off big time in the long run.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Nick_XJ90

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »
Hey from EJC I was wondering how long it would take this bumper thing to pop up down in Calgary their are a few people getting  some done up there. i am going to get one as soon as I get my XJ back from Eric but i will ask him to add a little more strength into the mounting locations and to add some more spots that it can be mounted on. but remeber the bumper that is pictured is for $500 if you want extra stuff it might be a little bit higher. And also it is almost the beginning of his wheeling season I would suggest that everyone that wants one to go and get it done ASAP. Because as soon as the season starts he wont have to much time to do them. right now he barely has time to get all the jeeps out of his backyard and get his completed.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45:39 PM »
    I was Talking to Eric agen to night.  He is going to get some pics together of what is wanted and post them up here.
     Of course if their is any modifications wanted we could get them done. If their are pepole in EJC wanting to get some we all need to get together and try to save as much as possible with a bulk order.
    We need to do this sooner than later due to the major wheeling season is coming up very quickly and Eric will not have the time to complet the order.

Offline Brink

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:11:41 PM »
Here's the pic everyone is talking about.

It's just the pic that the edmonton guys wanted their bumpers modeled after.

The pic is what you get cosmetically.  But the mounts are beefed up substantially.  The bumper is held on with 6 bolts per side including using the steering box bolts.   D-ring mounts run through the front of the body and extend along the mounting bracket for max strength (not just welded to the face of the bumper). 

As stated it's $495 each or $425 each for 5 or more at a time.  Bumpers come ready for paint or powder coating.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:45:52 AM »
That's a nice bumper for the $$... it's a clean design and you have good acces to the winch (stupid ARB bumbers...)

I agree with Clay....One would need to reinforce his unibody or make the brakets go further inside it... I reinforced my unibody at the steering box ... it's super solid that way.

Eric does some good work...  ;D

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »
Ok so Im in for one is anyone elts CJA, EJC or any where elts.
Four more and we will be saving money.

born2jeep

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 06:08:20 PM »
Well I like it and seeing as I bought my winch today, I'm down if we can get enough people. I'll be meeting with a friend of mine tonight or on friday, and i'm sure I can talk him into a bumper.

Sam

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 06:24:05 PM »
I am REALLY interested!! Count me in.
Will I have to pick it up from The Great White North, or is someone doing a parts run?
PM sent to Waytec.

T
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Brink

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 07:56:40 PM »
 I actually live in Sylvan Lake and work in Olds. 

Parts run doesn't have to be far for you Calgary guys.  Or I take bribes of Guiness in healthy doses.   ;)

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 08:32:50 PM »
Right on we have 3 so far 2 more to go and we are golden. :)

Brink could you field a question? Immortal has a 99 and I know that the front is slightly different. dose this affect the design. Warn has a extenchon bracket for the 97 and up. I don't know much about this b/c I have a 95.

born2jeep

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 09:05:35 PM »
Good point, I never even thought about that. I have a 97 my buddies is a 98.

Also do you have a cherokee that you can model it off of, or is a donation needed?

Sam
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 09:15:23 PM by born2jeep »

Offline Darklen

• Stocker
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 08:30:47 PM »
I'd be up for one. If'n you need an XJ for measurements, I'm right in Dead Rear.

~edit, mine's an'89
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:31:20 PM by Darklen »

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 09:23:41 PM »
We have Four do I hear a Fifth.
So far born2jeep, Immortal, Darklen and me Waytec are in. 
If anyone that is on other sites could put the word out it would be great. We need one more to get the deal, if we get more than 5 I cant see that being an issue ether.