Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: airbag dash light always on  (Read 3934 times)

TheUnexplained

airbag dash light always on
« on: May 30, 2005, 12:52:50 PM »
For about the last 6 months i was hearing a loose connection type rattle and then about 2 months ago it was just gone, but then the airbag dash light continuously stays on and the horn and cruise no longer work.  My ignition, wipers, turn signals, high beam and hazards work fine.

I had a few moments this weekend so I tore apart the dash and all connections appear fine.  I checked the airbag fuses and they are fine.  I hesitate taking apart the steering column and steering wheel because of the airbag.

I am looking for suggestions i can check myself before i send it in.

Dave

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 01:18:48 PM »
My first thought is clockspring. What kind of vehicle?

TheUnexplained

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 08:33:57 PM »
2000 tj.

whitetrash96

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 01:28:07 AM »
My Ranger has a similar airbag problem and what I was told is to make sure you disconnect your battery a good 1/2hr to 1hr before messing with any of the airbag connections or you might get a terrible surprize. Does your light just stay on or flash a bunch of times and then stay on? On mine it flashes a service code and then eventually stays on. If yours flashes a bunch of times you could get a Jeep tech to tell you what the code means to pinpoint you in the right direction. If you have other things that aren't working I'd check your fuses again. In my case the fuse panel fuses were all good, but under my hood in my power distribution box my "Air bag system fuse" was blown, maybe you aren't looking in the right places? Good luck :)

Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 11:00:34 AM »
Remove the pos cable from the battery and hold the cable to the neg post for a second or two, that will drain the capacitors and render your electrical system dead. Remove the screws from the back of the steering wheel and pullout the airbag, unplug the connector and set it aside. You will need a puller to remove the steering wheel and the clockspring is underneath. Remove the upper and lower column cover screws and pull them off to get at the connectors. Put everything back together before hooking up the battery.
All the symptoms you list describe a clockspring error to me.

Offline AliXJ

• Budget Lift
airbag light
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 11:13:56 AM »
95% clockspring is broken, Airbag,cruise, horn and whatever other controls on steering wheel are routed in the clockspring. You most likly heard the rubbing when turning the steering wheel and then it broke.The clockspring is designed like a "gyro or rotor" where it will coil up or uncoil when turning steering wheel either way, but designed to keep a wire constant wire conection. If you will be replacing it yourself you will need a steering wheel puller to prevent bending steering wheel.
ON THE ROCKS!!!

TheUnexplained

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 01:42:35 PM »
Thx for the info.  When i start the vehicle the airbag light stays on for a second or 2 then it goes off for a split second then turns back on and stays illuminated until i turn the vehicle off.  I am thinking the clockspring like you mention.  I will check the fuses in the engine bay too when i get some time.  I don't have the steering wheel puller so i think i am forced to take it in if it is not the fuses and i want this fixed, or i may just live with it for a while.  It has already been several months, so what is another month or 2.

Has anyone replaced a clockspring before, and how much is the replacement part?

Dave

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 11:36:18 AM »
I have one from an '04 with cruise, should be the same. $60 and I could bring it when I come for V-Days.

TheUnexplained

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 07:57:45 AM »
I called around and sounds like the clocksprings are different part numbers.  Guess i will have to wait a little longer.  Thx for the help though.