4x4 Related Groups > Tech Talk

airbag dash light always on

(1/2) > >>

TheUnexplained:
For about the last 6 months i was hearing a loose connection type rattle and then about 2 months ago it was just gone, but then the airbag dash light continuously stays on and the horn and cruise no longer work.  My ignition, wipers, turn signals, high beam and hazards work fine.

I had a few moments this weekend so I tore apart the dash and all connections appear fine.  I checked the airbag fuses and they are fine.  I hesitate taking apart the steering column and steering wheel because of the airbag.

I am looking for suggestions i can check myself before i send it in.

Dave:
My first thought is clockspring. What kind of vehicle?

TheUnexplained:
2000 tj.

whitetrash96:
My Ranger has a similar airbag problem and what I was told is to make sure you disconnect your battery a good 1/2hr to 1hr before messing with any of the airbag connections or you might get a terrible surprize. Does your light just stay on or flash a bunch of times and then stay on? On mine it flashes a service code and then eventually stays on. If yours flashes a bunch of times you could get a Jeep tech to tell you what the code means to pinpoint you in the right direction. If you have other things that aren't working I'd check your fuses again. In my case the fuse panel fuses were all good, but under my hood in my power distribution box my "Air bag system fuse" was blown, maybe you aren't looking in the right places? Good luck :)

Dave:
Remove the pos cable from the battery and hold the cable to the neg post for a second or two, that will drain the capacitors and render your electrical system dead. Remove the screws from the back of the steering wheel and pullout the airbag, unplug the connector and set it aside. You will need a puller to remove the steering wheel and the clockspring is underneath. Remove the upper and lower column cover screws and pull them off to get at the connectors. Put everything back together before hooking up the battery.
All the symptoms you list describe a clockspring error to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version