Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ??Turbos??  (Read 1335 times)

Giffer

??Turbos??
« on: March 29, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »
i know this is a jeep forum but...... oh well I'm asking anyways! does anybody know anything about turbos??? i understand what they do and how the work, well mostly. but i don't understand "Garrett GT2860RS Turbocharger - 0.86 A/R - 1" does this make sense to anyone? oh and i got that from the site. http://www.staticxmotorsports.com/in...FQ-TggodBlIYhg they all look the same to me.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
Re: ??Turbos??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
well garret is a company that manufactures turbos for oem and aftermarket. the a/r i think has something to do with the amount of exhaust is needed to make a decent amount of boost.
you cant take a huge turbo from a cummins and put it on a honda, the honda doesnt make enough flow for the big diesel turbo. and vice versa. theres books about turbos... lots of info out there to understand.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Giffer

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
yeah. i just find any of these books. nothing that makes any sense to me anyways.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
What do you need to know,.. I've built a turbo charged sohc 2.0 , 92 cavalier that does 14's,.. hybrid turbo, t25/t28

The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
....... but i don't understand "Garrett GT2860RS Turbocharger - 0.86 A/R - 1" ....

GT28 uses a T25/T28 exhaust flange and is a ball bearing turbo,.. very good turbo,.. they last longer than a standard ceramic or brass bearing turbo

I assume the .86 a/r is the cold side,.. I would like to know what the exhaust side is,.. I'm going to guess it'll be a .63ish

What motor is this going on,.. how much lag do you want,.. meaning when do you want it to kick in,.. what kind of peak do you want

This turbo should be internally wastegate'd

How long do you want your motor to last, how much money do you have to spend on a budget build?

Have you built up the internals?  what about fuel management? are you going completely computer controlled or old school rrfpr, what about a high flow fuel pump
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »
you cant take a huge turbo from a cummins and put it on a honda, the honda doesnt make enough flow for the big diesel turbo. and vice versa. theres books about turbos... lots of info out there to understand.

Actually there is a 2.3l, 4cyl mustang out there using a huge diesel turbo,.. thing is retardedly fast.

300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Giffer

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 10:05:51 PM »
yeah baeman thats the stuff im trying to figure out. i know about the ball bearings and waste gates, or what they do/ for, but it this kind of thing

I assume the .86 a/r is the cold side,.. I would like to know what the exhaust side is,.. I'm going to guess it'll be a .63ish

how much lag do you want,.. meaning when do you want it to kick in,.. what kind of peak do you want

Have you built up the internals?  what about fuel management? are you going completely computer controlled or old school rrfpr, what about a high flow fuel pump

well it will be going into, well upgrading turbos in a car i havent bought yet. it a 2.5l toyota soarer twin turbo. im not even sure if i would upgrade them but its one of those thing that i would like to know. so i was looking around at turbos and realized that i dont know much, if anything about how to set one up/ pick one out.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 10:14:55 PM »
yeah baeman thats the stuff im trying to figure out. i know about the ball bearings and waste gates, or what they do/ for, but it this kind of thing
well it will be going into, well upgrading turbos in a car i havent bought yet. it a 2.5l toyota soarer twin turbo. im not even sure if i would upgrade them but its one of those thing that i would like to know. so i was looking around at turbos and realized that i dont know much, if anything about how to set one up/ pick one out.

I would suggest before even thinking about upgrading,.. learn more about the existing twin turbo motor.

I honestly don't think you will need to upgrade. There maybe other things you can do to maximize performance,.. like upgraded IC piping, upgraded FMIC, ECU chip or reflash.

Just throwing on bigger turbos may do more damage and even create more lag and slow your car down.

What some people are doing it removing the twin turbo and installing a properly sized single turbo.

Another option is sequential turbos,.. keeping 1 smaller and another slightly bigger.

order the book "Maximum Boost"

and most definitely research more about your new car.
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline raf2379

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »
Giffer do exactly what barmanjay said. Learn about the stock turbo setup first. Get yourself some real world numbers from what your engine puts out stock. First make sure the engine is running good. Then you can either goto the track and from your E/T and MPH numbers you can calculate your HP, best way is to hit the dyno. once you have those numbers you can start doing calculations and maping out the correct turbo for your motor. I've spent weeks doing calculation and looking at compressor maps of different turbos before I decided on the ideal one for my HP goals. the A/R ratio on the exhaust will mostly determine the spool up of the turbine, it will determine topend, or low end torque and hp.  I can help you out as much as I can getting the right setup for you once you reach that stage. if you have any specific question let me know.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2295188

Giffer

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 03:01:59 PM »
yeah well of course im  going to mess with anything unless im sure of what im doing, but just trying to get a better understand of them. such as reading the compression maps. ive been looking at everything else i need to know but thats one thing i dont underdstand if the copression maps. thanks barmanjay and raf2379.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 03:26:08 PM »
I learned trial and error, and experimenting

do what I didn't,.. read the book maximum boost,.. i believe it's written by corky bell

it'll save you money and time in the end.
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca