Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Question for all Rubi owners  (Read 2555 times)

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
Question for all Rubi owners
« on: September 17, 2005, 09:40:25 AM »
I recently traded my Baja Claws to Elsifer for his stock Rubi rims and tires (which seems to be at about 85%) and they are going on our ZJ and it is still my wife's daily driver and baby hauler. Now, obviously their safety is more important to me than the way the Jeep looks, so my question is....how are these tires in the winter compared to the Goodyear GSA's she is running right now? Would I be better of selling the tires and buying some BFG AT's (which I have run before and liked)?

Thanks in advance,

Smurf
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline Elsifer

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 11:18:42 AM »
I really liked the MT/R's in the winter. On the packed snow (which is pretty much polished to form ice) they did pretty good, air em down a touch and its like a sunny summer day. Even on glare ice at a river crossing, they grabbed quite well, especially at lower rotational speeds.
I ran at 20 psi for a while with them, and while I wouldn't recommend highway speeds, they are quite nice on the side streets of Calgary that don't get cleared of snow.

They will flat spot in the cold, you will notice that right away, but once they warm up, the are a pretty darn good winter tire, in my opinion.
I'm jealous of other rubi owners who have managed to keep their original rims/tires.

Good luck in the snow!
Chris
VA6CPL
Jeepless....

MC

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 12:32:56 PM »
My wife's ZJ has 32x10.5 MT/R's on it.  Best road tire we've ever had on any Jeep, winter or summer. imo

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 10:58:55 PM »
Compared to the GSAs they rock. The GSAs suck. ATs are better yet but not enough to trade I don't think. I run Rubi tires on our baby hauler and on it, too, they were better than the Michelins that came on it as stock OEM tires.
Keep on Jeepin'

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 11:54:38 PM »
I run my MTRs in the winter and love them.  However, I do have them siped and if you are worried about traction go get them siped.  I have better traction in the winter with my MTRs than I did with my AT/S.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: Question for all Rubi owners
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 07:52:58 AM »
Quote from: "cablesmurf"
I recently traded my Baja Claws to Elsifer for his stock Rubi rims and tires (which seems to be at about 85%) and they are going on our ZJ and it is still my wife's daily driver and baby hauler. Now, obviously their safety is more important to me than the way the Jeep looks, so my question is....how are these tires in the winter compared to the Goodyear GSA's she is running right now? Would I be better of selling the tires and buying some BFG AT's (which I have run before and liked)?

Thanks in advance,

Smurf

MTR's are garbage compared to BF AT's in the winter. They are pucks on ice. Below minus 10, I rank em right up there with a swamper. They are ok in heavy snow (still not as good as a BF), but thats not really your worry around town.

They also wear a lot faster then a BF.

I've run swampers, MTR's, BF at's, Yoko geo's, GSA's, and bunch of different AT's. BF has been my favorite winter tire so far.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

haywire

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 05:39:28 PM »
i"ll second bill comment have had both on my wifes liberty as well and she made me take them off didnt feel right put on the bf never heard a complaint again