Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Screwed my YJ bad, well at least it may turn it that way...  (Read 1900 times)

yjpaul

Screwed my YJ bad, well at least it may turn it that way...
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:38:34 PM »
Alright everyone.  Heres the scoop.  88 yj.  Bought it with a 3 inch body lift.  Sure i thought the body lift was cool and all, but now its time i actually want REAL clearance.  Ive decided on a 4 inch suspension lift.  Thanks to a good pal of mine, i have realized that a 3 inch body lift plus 4 inch suspension may look REtardeD with 33's.  Well now i have 31's, but im scared to go to 35s with stock gearing in the axles.  So 33's is what i have my eyes on.  So another option is to do the susp. lift, and take out the body lift.  Problem is, i have no idea how long this will take, nor how to do it, nor do i have the STOCK bolts to hold the body to the frame.  Anybody have any ideas?  What do you guys think the truck will look like with both lifts and 33's?  Honesty is the best policy.  Thanks guys.

~Paul

RedYJ

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:56:06 PM »
I personally dont think it will look terrible ive got 3.5 lift and 33's and its a little close to the fender flares.  Its just the 3 inch body lift is a bit harry if you could if possible step it down to 1 or so inch it would work.  To do the lift it took me a couple of weekends, one with air tools one without and both weekends with basic knowlage.  Jeep looked silly with rear 3.5" lift and front none :roll:

yjpaul

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 11:30:26 PM »
Quote from: "RedYJ"
I personally dont think it will look terrible ive got 3.5 lift and 33's and its a little close to the fender flares.  Its just the 3 inch body lift is a bit harry if you could if possible step it down to 1 or so inch it would work.  To do the lift it took me a couple of weekends, one with air tools one without and both weekends with basic knowlage.  Jeep looked silly with rear 3.5" lift and front none :roll:

Yea i think your right, it wont look too bad.  But boy im not excited to be climbing into my truck instead of getting into it.  That is going to get old fast.  Oh well.  Anybody here run 33's without regearing? I would only be running stock geared for about 2 weeks or so...

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 11:53:16 AM »
33's and stock gears... 3.07's to boot! that's me right now.

yes it isn't that great. you won't see 5th gear much.  It isn't unbearable by any standards, just lugs and floods a bit. Don't expect any 'pep' out of the system.

RedYJ

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 05:17:28 PM »
Ive got 33's and 4.10 gearing behind a 4cyc.  Yes you can just about forget that you even have a 5th gear it barely holds the speed at 110Km/h going flat.  But in the city its generaly fine but dont expect too much from it.