Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: LIft Kit or Winch???  (Read 2977 times)

Coolhand Luke

LIft Kit or Winch???
« on: September 21, 2005, 01:38:03 PM »
If you had 5-600$ to spend what would you buy, winch or a suspension kit. Where is the cheapest and best kind to get? Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
LIft Kit or Winch???
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 02:45:13 PM »
Winch :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

DIAMOND DAVE

LIft Kit or Winch???
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 03:53:18 PM »
WINCH !!! :lol: People make the mistake of buys tires/lifts and still have no way to save their own arse. Don't forget proper hook up points for snatch blocking and tug straps.

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
winch
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 07:01:51 PM »
Cheepest winch is at Costco.  400 bucks.  It has worked well for me so far.  Not the fastest but definatly the most bang for you busk as it includes mounting channel, roller fairlead, cable remote, and a snach block.  It is made in china and imported into the states by champion power equipment.  Parts are available in quebec.  Costco warrenty for one year.

yjpaul

Re: winch
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 07:03:56 PM »
Quote from: "bae146"
Cheepest winch is at Costco.  400 bucks.  It has worked well for me so far.  Not the fastest but definatly the most bang for you busk as it includes mounting channel, roller fairlead, cable remote, and a snach block.  It is made in china and imported into the states by champion power equipment.  Parts are available in quebec.  Costco warrenty for one year.
Is it $400? i always thought it was $300.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
LIft Kit or Winch???
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 10:29:15 PM »
Winch for sure.
I did it lift and tires then winch.  would've done it the other way for sure.

Look at Asia... he's running a damn near stock YJ with 31's, a posi rear, and a winch. He can go places you wouldn't believe. Driver skill will is morehelpful than all the right gear.

Coolhand Luke

LIft Kit or Winch???
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 05:47:59 AM »
Thanks for confiming my opinion, winch gives me more confidence, where as a lift will not. Having an escape will allow me to try more and go farther.
Just a lift and no winch will still make me feel hesitant, and unsure. In an ideal world I would have all the bells and whistles on my Jeep. Thank you to the Alberta Gov't. for buying this winch for me.

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
LIft Kit or Winch???
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 08:54:04 AM »
i recommend driving like you never had a winch. you will pick better lines if you aren't relying on that little motor up front to get you through.

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
LIft Kit or Winch???
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 08:44:04 PM »
Quote from: "Apex"
i recommend driving like you never had a winch. you will pick better lines if you aren't relying on that little motor up front to get you through.

Insert smartass comment "Here"   :wink:

I vote for winch as well.

You could wait for your "Ralphbucks" and increase your budget a little.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Da_chopper

LIft Kit or Winch???
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 09:03:39 PM »
definitely a winch.

instead of a costco special, shop around for a good quality used one. $400 or $500 should get you a working 8274.