Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Help me my Clutch is Broken  (Read 1750 times)

Rochambo

Help me my Clutch is Broken
« on: July 01, 2005, 06:58:09 PM »
Ok heres the thing, I was out at Mclean today, having the best time in the water and mud, at the end of the day we headed over and did what i thought was a big steep hill climb, went into 2 gear and at the top into 3 then back to 2 got over the crest and stopped went to go down and realized i had NO clutch pressure at all... had to shut it of and start it in 4L 1st gear and power shift, i managed to get us back home. Any thought on what i did and how to fix it Please someone tell me i can fix for a good price. Oh i looked everywhere and there is nothing leaking  ....... 89 jeep yj

Offline NS-jeeper

• UberWheeler
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 10:44:34 PM »
Not sure but my 84 CJ7 had a little piviot thing attached to the fire wall that broke loose (which resulted in no clutch), but I've heard YJs  have a different system, but it could be similar you never know.

Scott

80CJ

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 11:22:10 PM »
I don't know much about  YJ's. Is it a hydrolic system or is still mechanical like a CJ?

Becker

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 11:04:48 PM »
I have a 93 YJ and its a hydraulic clutch

Wif

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2005, 09:34:26 AM »
89 is hydraulic.
is the m/c chamber full ?? if not, then check between the dust plate and bellhousing for a fluid leak (slave cyl leak) .. or look under the carpet (if you still have them) on the d/s .. is there fluid running down the firewall (master cyl leak).

If you have fluid (full) and there is no sign of leaking, then you have a mechanical problem .. the 89 has an internal slave/throwout bearing requiring the gearbox to be removed.
Does it make a strange sound if you press the pedal down (engine running .. don't select any gears) ?? .. if not, try just bleeding the clutch system.